Chapter 5

My eyelids felt extremely heavy, as I started to be aware of the room I was settled in. It had been no other but my own room, my own bed, and my own sleepy figure which eyes tried to adjust to the morning sunlight. I didn't even have to glance down my body to see the same outfit I had worn the previous night, at my birthday party.

The night that was supposed to be the best in my life.

Instead of feeling like the happiest person on this planet, I woke up feeling like a complete shit. That's not how a girl who just turned eighteen years old and found herself a mate should feel like. Yesterday's events started flooding into my mind, as I remembered how utterly alone I was left by no one other than my best friend I've known my whole life.

A person who is also my mate

I could get past the fact that he doesn't want to be in a serious relationship with me now, but what I couldn't bear is the fact that he and I are no longer friends. I know that both of us have a lot of things to discuss, but unfortunately I have this feeling which is telling me that things are not going to end up the way I want them to be.

Sitting upright in my cozy bed, I try not to let the negative thoughts occupy my already racing mind. I was in a fear to face myself because I knew how torn and broken I looked like. I knew that my make-up is ruined in every possible way, because of how much I cried last night. I knew that my eyes weren't ready to face the truth - that our best friend left us alone, although he knew how we felt. My inner wolf and I.

I could feel her howling in pain. 

Other than that, I had to let her out. She felt like running... like she was in need of the air of which she was captive to breathe. She needed it.

Rather than facing the stranger in the mirror, I let myself out of my room, just to be greeted with the awful smell of the alcohol and God knows what else. I made a mental reminder to clean everything up later. 

Amongst the many cups on the floor, there were several people laying down, completely wasted. Hoping they will all leave as soon as I get back, I leave the house and make my way to the woods. It didn't take me much time, considering how, as I am the part of the werewolf pack, the green area was near the house I live at. Just to be hundred percent sure that nobody can see me, I walk a little bit further into the woods, which was full of fresh air, and let the transition begin.

The pain was bearable, unlike the first time I shifted. Since I seldom let my wolf out, it felt like a relief and some sort of recovery at once. My wolf wasn't that much big if I'd compare it to Zach. Unlike his huge, muscular and black wolf, mine had a fur covered with a beautiful light shade of brown and the size was not as intimidating as Zach's. I was still bigger than the regular wolf, though.

I, once again, became a completely new person - if I could even call myself like it in this state. I could see brighter and notice even the smallest things around here. The smell of the woods and fresh air filled my lungs and from where I was standing at, nothing could be described more beautifully. 

I started running.

My paws buried themselves in the dry ground, as I moved forward, looking straight ahead. My legs became faster and faster and it felt like I had no limitation whatsoever. I didn't feel crappy. I felt fine. Alive. My wolf and I had no worries at all. There was just this incredible nature surrounding us, letting us be who we truly are.

But very quickly, there was a pang of pain, when I came to the sudden halt. I was running so fast and didn't even think where was I heading, until now at least, when I found myself standing a few meters away from Powell's residence. He was there. He was in that house, probably in his own room, maybe even thinking of so many ways how to stop us from being mates. It was impossible, we both knew it.