VI. Friends and Acquaintances

Start from the beginning

"I do not see why I have to do this. I have been away from Wickhurst for too long. For God's sake, Maggie, I have been rumored to have gone insane and banished by you all three years ago!"

Margaret's smile did not waver. That was a foolish rumor and the family simply laughed it off three Christmas dinners ago. "But you still have your charm. You do still have your friends and those friends have other friends." Margaret waved her hand. "Do make the list, will you?"

"I am not even certain whether the people I once associated with are now married, deceased, or became criminals!"

"I will chaperone the twins to a ball two nights from now with Ralph. You should come with us," his sister said, dismissing his statement with a slight roll of her eyes.

"I thought you only needed a list?"

"You might as well go. You are not leaving Wickhurst today or on the morrow, are you?"

"No, but I intend to leave within the week. The moment I deem it safe to escape mother."

"Then there you have it. You should come with us. And you said so yourself, you need to talk to the twins. You might as well see if they heed your orders at this ball. And while there, meet your friends. Get reacquainted. Be a charmer. And get us names."

He scoffed.

"And it might also help her a little if you dance with her."

"Dance with Tori?"

"Have you forgotten to dance?"

"Why would I dance with Tori?"

"Because you will want people to notice her. Levi Everard is at the Wickhurst Season, and the first thing he does is dance with Victoria Ashdown," Margaret said, waving a hand in the air. "Women would gossip about it, the men would hear it and they would all turn their heads and look for Tori, and then at Tori." Margaret's eyes glinted as she continued to explain. "Now, do you know why it is necessary?"

Levi pursed his lips.

"She is my best friend, Levi. And she is your friend as well. It is our duty to help her. If her stepmother wins, it will be on our conscience. She is alone, Levi. She has no one else."

Alone.

He had been alone for three bloody years and he knew what it felt like. No, perhaps not. He had been alone because he chose it, and all along he had a family to go back to. The twins' weekly letters to Standbury were enough proof of that.

"You are indebted to me, Margaret," he finally conceded.

Margaret's smile widened. "Gladly. Now, off you go. If mother looks for me, do tell her I am painting."

He stared at his sister dryly. "You do not paint."

Margaret had unfolded the letter in her hands. "Oh, but I do. In secret, of course."

"Of course," Levi muttered, turning to leave.

"And the list, Levi!" she called after him.

***

"Have we heard it correctly that you are going to help Tori find a husband?" Ysabella asked Levi as they stood in one corner of the ballroom.

"Will you, Levi?" Emma added.

He stared at the twins dryly. Good God, they looked so much alike they could be real twins. Like the rest of their siblings, Ysabella and Emma had black hair and emerald green eyes. And at the moment, they glimmered with wickedness. As though they were thinking of something dangerous that he was not privy to.