nothing kills you like your mind

||

||

"Bea? Bea! Lydia! Are you guys okay?"

Stiles Stilinski rushes to the two teenage girls standing outside the gate to the school pools, his eyes immediately finding the blood covering Bea's clothes. "Oh, my God. What the hell happened!? Lydia said neither of you got hurt!"

Bea holds her hand out to cut him off, and he does not miss the way her bloodied fingers shake. He cannot tell if it is from the cool night or fear. Maybe a hint of both.

"Stilinski, shut up for a second," the redhead demands, her voice wavering despite the confidence she tries to push through. He instantly notices her façade. "The blood's not mine. I'm okay. But that, over there...definitely not okay."

Following her shaking finger, Stiles finds the scene her blue eyes refuse to look at. The slit throat still burns a hole in her mind, and just thinking about it causes her breath to hitch in her throat. Shivers wrack her body uncontrollably, and after a little reluctance, Stiles shrugs off his sweatshirt, draping it over her shoulders.

Her eyes meet his whiskey ones, her jaw slightly dropping at the gesture. Quickly, she covers up her surprise, giving him a small smile of gratitude before shoving her arms through the sleeves, hugging the piece of clothing closer to her body. Her shivering starts to lessen.

Tearing his eyes away from the redhead, Stiles pulls his phone from the pocket of his jeans, his long fingers searching for his father's number. "Yeah, all right. I'm gonna call my dad," he informs, scrolling through his contacts.

"I already called 911," Lydia explains, causing Stiles' eyes to snap up to her instantly. She rolls her eyes at his offended expression.

"You called the police before you called me?" he queries, blinking rapidly as he tries to process this new information. Although the strawberry blonde has not known about the supernatural as long as he has, he had given her a thorough run-down over the summer when he had explained to her everything that had happened during their second semester of sophomore year.

"We're supposed to call you first when we find a dead body?" Bea asks incredulously, looking back at him with equally wide eyes. What kind of town do these people live in?

"Yes!" the boy exclaims, earning another eye roll from Lydia.

"Whatever, Stiles. I'm going to get Bea into your Jeep. Is it unlocked?" the green-eyed beauty questions, putting her arm around Bea's shoulder, obviously careful to avoid touching any of the blood.

"Uh, yeah. It's unlocked. Go ahead, I'm just gonna call Scott," he allows, once more looking to his phone as he scrolls for his best friend's number.

Nodding, Lydia leads Bea away from Stiles and toward the baby-blue Jeep, trembling just as much as the Knight girl. If Bea were not so shell-shocked, she would be asking what Scott had to do with any of this. She decides to stay out of it for now.