Epilogue

"Give us a twirl then." I shot an eyebrow up at the person sat on the edge of the Motel bed. He gave me the exact same look before giving me a smile that had captured a special place in my heart. I couldn't say no to him and he knew it. I spun around, my knee-length dress twirling with me, my curls almost hitting me in the face. "You're really doing this?" I sat on the chair of the vanity table they'd provided, silently counting the number of bulbs surrounding the mirror that were blown as I looked at my own reflection, and his, waiting for an answer. Counting had become my coping mechanism over the past few years, it helped calm me.
"I'm really doing this." I didn't even hear the sigh, but saw his shoulders slump slightly.
"But you—"
"It doesn't matter. I have to. I was invited." I lifted the invitation with my right hand, flicking it back slightly as I held it in the air. I knew he was right, it was ridiculous to be doing this, but I had to know.
"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?" I nodded, my stomach twisting at the thought of going alone. He jumped up, "come on then. Just know I'm not happy about you doing this all by yourself." I tilted my head at him and smiled. His smile as a response hit my heart in a place only he could. "Oh, you look beautiful."

My legs felt heavy as I forced myself to move from the sidewalk to one of the large buildings standing firmly in front of me. I wondered how people entered and left this building without noticing the magnificent details, the beauty of a historic building. The past three years had led to this moment.
The body guard at the entrance stopped me, "Guest?" I nodded, flashing my invitation. They had door guards now? I had to fight back the urge to roll my eyes and make a comment about how I clearly was not a student as I was granted entry to the building.

          My hands were trembling slightly as I sat in the furthest corner at the back of the room. I said I'd come, I didn't say I'd say hello. It was brightly lit, and excited voices filled the room, each conversation overlapping. I could hear the conversation of two sets of parents that were sat in the row in front of me, they were complaining about their seats, and how they were too far away from the centre stage — despite it being clearly visible and lit. They were also complaining about the poor quality photographs they'd get, forcing me to glance at the stupidly overpriced DSLR placed in their laps, one with the biggest lens add-on I'd ever seen in my life. I was surprised my eyes didn't pop out of their sockets. They'd get amazing photographs. I almost felt ashamed of my crappy iPhone camera - not that I was planning on taking any photographs.

All four adults turned to look at me as my iPhone beeped at me, telling me I'd received a message from Ella. I rushed, putting it onto silent as I tried to ignore their glares.

"Who are you here for, then?" One of the moms asked me, I cleared my throat as I placed my hands between my knees.

"Oh, um." I glanced around, "Just an old friend." The words left my lips before I could think about it, and as the students began filling the large area in the hall, they decided that my answer was good enough.

My eyes followed the crowd of people, wondering if I would be able to spot anyone I knew. My heart was racing now, the lump in my throat making me feel nauseous as the ceremony began. The excited chatters stopped instantly as a man in a suit - someone I guessed sponsored the college - entered the stage, giving a speech. My eyes continued scanning the room, but to no avail. Every face was just another one I had never seen before.

          The ceremony ended, and every student had received their diplomas and given the crowds a grin, and the sea of people made their way back onto the University grounds. I gritted my teeth as I followed the set of parents that had been chatting the whole way through the ceremony, they were still talking excitedly, and I knew it shouldn't be annoying me, after all, their child had just graduated, but something about me was off. I pulled my phone out of my bag, seeing a text from Ella as to where to meet her before I texted Aaron, letting him know I was almost finished and I'd meet him at the motel in an hour.