Six

A few days had passed and I was yet to reply to Brodie. I was still undecided on what to do, and he hadn't sent any other messages; not that I could blame him. Ella and I sat in my backyard, the warmth allowing us to sunbathe on the Friday afternoon. My mom was going away for the weekend, and after much begging and pestering, she allowed me to have a party. Her exact words were small gathering, but we both knew what she meant. 

Ella came back with me, allowing some much needed girl time before everyone else arrived to help us prepare. I was picking the daisies out of the grass distractedly, and could feel Ella's eyes burning through me. 

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong?" I looked up at her, attempting to look confused. It didn't work. "'fess up, I know when something is wrong, so can you just tell me?" She plucked up some grass and threw it at my face, just like we did when we were kids. I ran a hand through my hair, "we promised to never keep secrets." Her voice broke slightly as she threw another handful of grass at me, this time I picked it up and threw it back.

"Actually, we promised to never lie to each other, so," I stuck my tongue out at her.

"Same thing!" She rolled her eyes and gave me a look that implied she wasn't going to give up until I told her. I wondered if she ever spoke to my mom, they both seemed to have the knack for getting information out of me.  I looked down at the grass, picking out a few more flowers.

"How did you know to be with Colt?" She looked up at me, confused. "Like, how did you know he was the one or that you wanted to be with him, or that you'd last together." I crossed my legs and leant back, my hands flat on the floor, ensuring I didn't fall. Ella looked at the floor, thinking for a while, before looking back up at me. She shrugged, a small smile forming on her lips as she spoke.

"Well at first it was that he was a part of the football team," I managed to mutter out an of course, she could be so conceited. "But then we went on that first date and he made me smile and I was laughing so much it hurt to breathe, I went home feeling like I was in a dream. He gave me butterflies and I've never felt as safe with a person as I do with him. He's like home, everything is ok with him. If anything isn't ok — apart from you — he's the one I want to speak to." She shrugged again, "I just knew after a few dates that I had to be with him, he was the one to be all my real firsts, you know?" She played with her hands momentarily, before grinning up at me. "I've known it every day since." I smiled at her in fondness, if anyone deserved that, it was her. Her face softened and she rocked forwards and backwards slightly. "Why do you ask? Is this about the boy online?" 

"No, no, not at all. I haven't even spoken to him."

"Then, who?"

          The group walked through the doors into the garden, interrupting our conversation, waving at my mom as she let them through. Both Ella and I stood,

"This isn't over." She winked at me and ran towards Colton, and for the first time, I understood what she meant. She had this new energy overcome her when she was with him. She jumped and he caught her spinning her around and kissing her, both of them laughing against each others lips. How cliché.

"How is your mom still so hot?" Parker asked, approaching me next to Flo. They were stood close, their skin brushing every so often; though they both ignored it. She rolled her eyes, gently hitting him in the stomach before telling him to shut up. I caught her eye and gave her a sneaky thumbs up. She smiled back at me and blushed almost instantly. He grinned at her, before asking what I wanted them to do. I barked out a few instructions, what was to go where and who was to do what and off everyone went. 

Half an hour passed and it was time for my mom to leave, everyone shouted a goodbye from their designated party planning station and I walked her to the door.

"Have a good weekend, mom." She hugged me tightly, so tight I felt like I was going to pop at any second. It was the first time we'd been apart since she split with my dad. I hugged her back, regardless of my current air supply.

"It's work, it won't be fun. You, on the other hand, have an amazing time." She put her hands either side of my face and searched my eyes, shaking her head, "How are you so grown up? Do not drink too much alcohol." I gave an innocent look, "I'm not stupid, Rhea. I've been was sixteen at one point, I know you'll get your hands on it one way or another. Just make sure my house doesn't get trashed." She looked around the people decorating and focused her eyes on the one person she knew would be the most responsible, "Miles, you're in second command, make sure my house stays in one piece, please." Miles nodded and laughed a yes ma'am. My mom kissed me on the forehead and picked up her bag, "I love you, sweetie."

"I love you too, mom. Have fun." She smiled at me, muttering a goodbye as she shut the front door. The house was officially ours for the weekend.

          I looked around the room and caught Ella's eye, she gave me a thumbs up from the drinks station, where she was spending more time flirting with her boyfriend than she was sorting out what I could only assume was alcohol, and cups, to go along with the beer pong table on the patio. I'd been made aware through a five minute long argument that it was the most important part of the party. I continued looking around when my eyes caught Miles, decorating the staircase. I had no idea what he was doing, but knew he would make it look incredible. My heart skipped a beat and I bit my lip gently as I took in his appearance. He was dressed in jeans, a navy Ralph Lauren polo shirt and a pair of smart-casual brown shoes. He looked amazing. I walked towards him, my heart beginning to race as I got closer, we hadn't spoken since the Ice Cream Parlour incident — and that just wasn't like us.

"Can we talk?" I whispered so quietly, I was surprised when he turned to look at me, nodded and walked up the stairs towards my room. I followed and sat beside him on my bed, we both started to speak at the same time, "you go first." I whispered, not looking at him, just staring at my hands and occasionally the wall opposite. The nerves getting the better of me.

"I hate fighting with you," he admitted, his voice soft and caring, with a hint of hurt. "I just don't want you to get hurt by some douchebag online. Not everyone is on there for good. And I know you can make your own decisions so if you want to meet him, then fine, but be safe." I noticed him glance at me out of the corner of my eye. I shook my head, the smallest of laughs escaping my lips. "Why are you laughing?"

"I haven't even spoken to him, so I won't be meeting him any time soon." I pulled a fake smile and ran a hand through my hair, pushing it back momentarily before it fell back into my face. I turned to face him, he really was something else. He looked at me, "I want to try something." I placed a hand on the bed, next to his waist and leant forward, all my weight on that one arm. He looked confused, and slightly worried, but I hoped his heart was beating as fast as mine was when my lips touched his.

The kiss was explosive, not like a firework explosion like people make out in books and fairytales, but it was the there's a spark kiss. I pulled back quickly, looking into his green eyes. They just shone.

"What was that for?" His voice was low, keeping the secret we just shared.

"I just wanted to find out."

"Wanted to find out what?" I dropped my eyes down to the bed, before taking a deep breath and building up all the courage within me. I looked him straight back in the eyes.

"I wanted to find out whether you're my Colton."