Chapter 2

Your face scrunched up to the creaking of a door. "Good morning, Dad." You said happily although your eyes remained closed in your sleepy state. Opening your eyes finally you jumped up and almost let out a yelp when you realized you weren't on your small twin sized mattress at home. A searing pain bursted through your left arm as you looked down and saw clean stitches leading up all the way to your shoulder blades. You turned your head to the right, facing the door.

"Excuse me, but what the hell?" You asked close to hysterics. In the room around you was people who you remembered but didn't know. A boy with black hair and an eyepatch, a girl with purple hair and eyes, an old man, and Nikishi.

"Ah, Nikishi. I'd almost forgotten what you'd done to me! The day of my surgery as well... Hmph, hopefully the doctors don't ask questions." You sat up in pain, stumbling towards the bag that rested on a chair in the corner of the room. Suddenly the man spoke up, "(Y/N), I'm afraid we have to keep you awhile longer. But you should be back by this evening." You resisted making an irritated noise and nodded your head. You were led to a room, and everyone sat on a couch while the man poured coffee into cups.

"So, (Y/N), I'm aware that Nikishi has harmed you. And he wishes to make it up to you as he came to Anteiku for help finding you places to stay alway from home, as your father has been deemed unsafe. Although you may want to stay with him, by the looks of your bruises you're not treated correctly. Touka, Kaneki, and Nikishi have offered to allow you to stay with them anytime that you need it." You nodded your head, a solum expression, your cold eyes a little less brighter than the day before.

"Don't think it's because I like you, I'm just apologizing for hurting an old friend. Now we're even from the time you saved my ass." He chuckled light heartedly and reached a hand to the back of his neck. You nodded again, unable to find words for the conflict of emotions that stirred inside of you. No more doing random jobs for money, no more drunken fights with your father, and no more tests. Except for the one today. You had plenty of needles probed into your veins, pills shoved down your throat, but nothing as severe as a transplant.
_______________________

A shudder followed down your spine as you walked outside the doors, the sun almost setting, but not quite yet. You had a few moments before the colors would come and you smiled wildly. Laughing at yourself, you stumbled up the stairs of a random apartment building. Finally reaching the roof level, you squealed at the color scheme in front of you. "It's gorgeous." You spoke to yourself, lost in its beauty. Pulling out a camera from your bag that you always brought with you, you snapped a few photos of the sunset. Slowly the colors faded to stars as you sat upon the roof, a sad smile spread across your soft features. A cloud formed in the sky as rain suddenly plummeted toward the ground. You let the rain drop from your face, unable to differentiate from your tears. Before you knew it a presence was beside you, staring at your features.

"I never understood why people enjoy rain. It's quite ennuyeux, mi Cheri. (Bothersome, my dear.)"

You hummed softly, looking over to the man who held an umbrella over his purple hair and eyes. You thought for a moment and stared at him before blinking and responding nonchalantly, "I never stopped to think about why I liked the rain so much until I stood under a cloud one night and couldn't tell apart the rain from my tears and the booming sound of thunder from my breaking heart. Because I realized that I too am a storm and all I want is for people to admire how I can light up the night sky, but instead they tremble in fear of my lightning." The words rolled off your tongue in a hushed voice. You smiled sadly once again and went to stand.

Tsukyama took an interest to you from the moment you collapsed at Anteiku, as he had seen through the window. You had been bitten but acted as if there wasn't anything hurting you. It's been a long time since he had a pet.
"Mi Cheri, allow me to escort you home. It isn't safe for young women to walk alone at night, if you haven't yet learnt your lesson from the previous day." He smiled at your shocked expression, but you nodded your head in compliance.