Part 1 Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Problem Case

I had only been at the Patterson home for three weeks. So far, it had been a record for me that year. I lasted only two weeks at the Smith home. The Duncans had me packed and back with child services only six hours after I had arrived. Each time it wasn't my fault, not that anyone would believe a sixteen year old boy.

I heard the door of the office open and I turned and saw the Child Services rep walk in. I had met this one before. Her name was Tilda Williams. I had first met with her when I turned thirteen. She seemed to always draw the short straw and had to handle my case. I guess I was gaining a reputation.

"Jake Corba," She said as she sat down at the desk in front of me. She opened up my folder, which was unusually thick. Her eyes went from the pile of papers in front of her to me and I felt a cold spot in the center of my stomach grow. "We really have to stop meeting like this."

"It wasn't my fault." I said. I was tired of apologizing. The first words out of my mouth in meetings like that were 'I'm sorry', but I was done.

"Mrs. Duncan claims she found you trying to dig a hole in their basement and in the process you hit the main water line and flooded their home."

"I made a mistake. I was digging in the wrong spot."

"Well, I agree with half of that statement. You did make a mistake, however the location you chose to dig was not it. It was digging at all. What possessed you?" I smiled at her choice of words.

"You know what the deal is." I said. She flipped through her papers to the very bottom and pulled out the first complaint that was filed against me at the tender age of five.

"When you were first old enough to speak, you told us that you were possessed by a demon. All subsequent behavior problems were blamed on that same demonic possession up to this point in time. I'm guessing you aren't ready to rethink your position."

"It's the truth. I can feel it in me. It talks to me."

"I'm sure that it does."

"I know you don't believe me. No one believes me."

"Jake, the most we know about you is that you were found as a baby in the remains of a church that burned down. Everyone in that church had burned to death, including your parents, but you were spared. Since then you have been our responsibility. Do you know that you have become a legend in the foster care system? When your name is uttered, counselors shiver with fear. I don't think I've ever witnessed a case as bad as yours. You average about four or five foster homes a year and nearly all of them tell us that after you show up, strange things start happening."

"It's not me! It's the demon! It's like a magnet for weird shit!"

"Please. Language."

"Sorry."

"A lot of people have given up hope on you. This file of yours gets passed around the office like a hot potato."

"And you got caught again."

"No. I have been requesting your case. Like I said, a lot of people have given up on you, but I'm not one of them. I lost my parents when I was young too. I think that's what made me want to dedicate my life to helping kids just like you. I know where you're coming from. The circumstances are different, but the loss is all the same. It's painful and maybe it's causing you to act out."

"Act out?"

"Maybe there's a part of you that hopes a miracle will happen and your parents will be found alive and well. You survived, why couldn't they?"

"I know they died in the fire."

"That's what all the evidence suggests, but you don't suppose there's some little part of you that holds onto hope, is there? A little part of you that doesn't want to be adopted in case your parents should somehow return?" I squirmed in my seat. I knew my parents were gone. I knew my entire family was gone. I woke up every day remembering that fact.

Every once in a while, I'd forget for a brief second, but it would come back fast enough. She wasn't wrong though. There was a part of me that hoped they were still alive. I did survive and there were really no bodies found. Just piles of ash they said were my parents and family. I had doubt, but I wasn't stupid either. I couldn't keep my head buried in the sand forever.

"I haven't been acting out. These things just keep happening."

"Nothing like this just keeps happening. What about when you killed that family's dog two years ago?"

"It wasn't a dog! I swear! It was a werewolf; or were-dog, or something. I saw it transform right in front of me. When I killed it, it turned back into its dog form."

"So, you're telling me their dog just happened to be some kind of shape shifting monster?"

"I realize it's hard to believe, but that's what really happened. I'd never hurt an animal." Jake said but he sensed that his words were falling on deaf ears. He let out a frustrated sigh and leaned back in his seat. "You know what? Forget it. You're right. It's all me. I'm a screw up. I'm just a cast away."

"No, Jake. I don't believe that about any child. I know you and I know you are a very caring boy, but sometimes your behavior is very strange. Dangerous in some cases. You're less than two years from aging out of the system. I want to see you in a stable home environment before that happens."

"I'd like that too."

"That's why I think I've found a solution."

"What?"

"I found a lovely half way house in Oak Bridge."

"Oak Bridge?"

"It's a small town up north. It has an excellent record for helping kids like you."

"Another orphan factory?"

"No. It's a real home. From what I understand, they host only three kids at a time. It's run by a woman named Kathryn Reyes. I've only heard wonderful things about her."

"And if I had a nickel every time I heard that."

"You skepticism is understandable, but I assure you this place can help you."

"And of course I have a choice in the matter."

"Love the sarcasm. Go get your things together. You're expected for dinner."

_tb_mv xT#�y