Chapter 5-The Argument

Most of the car ride was silent. The uncomfortable kind of silence. You could cut the tension with a pair of scissors. Brent pulled into the driveway of my house, parked the car, and then turned to me. Really? You wait until the very last second to start talking? I'm so close to my house! Why must you tempt me? I could get out right now and go straight to my nice and quiet room. Hmm...but then he would follow me in. Or... I could run in and lock the door behind me! Darn, he would probably bang on the door forever until I answered which would be VERY annoying. Ugh, mind as well get this done and over with.

Brent asked, "So why did you let him sit with us? I told you how I felt about him."

"It was getting awkward. I had to say something. I didn't want to be rude either. We've been good acquaintances. Heck, what if one of your friends did the same thing? What would you do?"

"First of all, 'one of my friends' wouldn't be the opposite gender. Second, what did he say to you before he left that was soooo important that he had to whisper to you? He couldn't just say it out loud like a normal person?"

"Why the heck do you have to be so freakin nosy about everything! You know what? I don't blame him for whispering. I mean, who the heck would want to talk to a person who's extremely rude to them?...He just wanted to thank me for being nice and that he had a good time."

"I worry because I'm afraid of losing you Kendra! ...he's obviously better looking than me. Admit it, you think he looks perfect."

"Well...yeah, but looks aren't everything. You know I always look at the personality in people. That's why I love you, Brent. You're funny, smart, and you really care about me. But sometimes you can be a bit too caring. For example, right now. I'm an adult. I can take care of situations by myself. Just relax about it and trust me...please?"

"Ok, I'm sorry. I know I should never doubt you. I really do trust you. I guess I can get insecure about myself when other guys are around. I want to protect you. I don't want any one hurting you in any way."

"I understand...and I forgive you"

"Thanks"

"Well, I'm getting tired. I should go. I'll see you later."

I gave him a hug and kiss and then got out of his car. I started walking to toward the door. Right before I opened the door, I looked back at Brent and waved goodbye. Then I walked into my house and locked the door behind me.

"El? Are you home?" I yelled. No answer. She must be out with her boyfriend, Luke.

The next morning, I walk over to the table in the dining room and I see Elowyn already eating breakfast. "Good morning, El. How was your night last night?"

"Good. Luke took me out to dinner and to the mall. I had a nice time. How about you?"

"Bittersweet. You will never guess what happened."

"Oh this must be good. What is it?"

"Robert asked me to go to the movies with him and an hour later Brent sends me a text saying the same thing! I told Robert we could "accidentally" run into each other. Then after the movie, Brent and I argued for a while because he didn't like the fact that Robert sat with us. Besides Brent, I had a good time."

"Wow. But why would Brent get mad? He knows he has you. HE WAS SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO YOU! A blind person can see that."

"He says he's insecure when there are other better looking guys around. He should give me the benefit of the doubt, though. Robert is the best looking guy on the planet. I know guys who will turn gay for him. However...when I told Brent last night that I love him, this time i felt...different. I really do love him, but, for some reason a part of me felt like I was lying to him."

"Wait... You can't be falling for Robert. He's like twice you age! Don't you think that's weird?"

"...a little. It's probably just my inner fan-girl coming out. It'll blow over. We're just friends."

"True, your celebrity crushes never last long."

Shortly after, Robert sends me a message saying <"So how did last night go for you? I sensed some tension between you two. I guess our plan didn't really work out.">

<"Well it...kinda worked. I mean, we were able to sit together. But the "avoiding drama" part didn't. It's not your fault though. You did a great job making it spontaneous.">

<"Thanks. I'm sorry it had to end that way. Maybe there's a way I can make it up to you ;)">

What's with the winky face? What does he mean by that? "Uh...El? How should I reply to this?"

"He just being flirty. It's probably nothing to him. Just give him a normal answer."

"True, guys are that way. Ok"

Right...friends... I have to keep telling myself we are just friends.

<"No, everything is alright. Thanks for the offer though.">

<"ok, coffee it is! During your lunch break tomorrow?">

What?! Oh I see what you did there.

<"I don't have time. I'm only going to be in and out.">

<"How about the next day?">

<"I have a meeting with my boss.">

<"Next week?">

Ugh! He will never give up! Come on, think fast.

<"I'll be talking with clients">

<"ok. Well, I tried.">

<"I'll let you know when things die down a bit.">

Finally! Thank goodness! Now I can think. I need some time to let my feelings cool down. I can't get emotionally involved with him. Plus, it doesn't help when I'm thrown off gaurd when he flirts. I have to find ways to friend zone him and let him know I have boundaries.