I looked up at Casey who was having so much fun with her friends, while Jess and Chase were talking like old friends.

Traitor.

Chase chimed his glass and we all settled down. He looked to his left to the girl sitting right to him.

Casey.

"I have a very important announcement. And I would like to thank Luke here for helping me realize what I have." I raised my glass at him to acknowledge his words.

I still don't like the guy.

Emily whispered into my ear, "Right Luke." I eyed her, making sure she knew that this wasn't the time and place.

"Casey... We have been dating for 2 years now and..."

Oh God stop right now.

"And I wanted to know..."

He can't be doing this.

He got of his chair, and stood there. "Would you..."

Jamie turned to me as those words that stabbed me came out.

He fell to the ground and kneeled on one of his knees. "Would you marry me?"

Time stopped.

My heart began to beat harder and harder as the seconds felt like years. Years that would or would not be taken away from me.

Her.

She turned to me, and stared into my eyes, while I to her. The look was unmistakable. Her eyes were asking for permission, but all I could do was stare.

I could see that my eyes were starting to become cloudy as tears began to form in my eyes.

Everyone looked back and forwards between Chase and I. This was his plan all along, wasn't it. He doesn't love her, it looked like he wanted her because I wanted her. She was his trophy, but she was my heart.

Jamie turned to me and I looked away. I guess the secret is out. I looked over at Jess whose eyes were on the table and only there. The two other guys didn't understand the sudden silence between everyone.

While the whole time, Casey and I never left each other's eyes because we were dawned together by this one discussion.

But then....but then I smiled. I forced a smile that made her think otherwise. And from that moment on, my heart was losing a race of its own.

The seconds turned into minutes, and the minutes turned into worried looks from everyone around. The longer she linger the more they all worried. The more I felt safer.

She turned to him, faced him as his smile came back.

All of a sudden a whispered came out of her mouth that broke me, that broke my entire being.

"Yes."

"Yes!" Chase shouted. "Yes, yes, yes! She said yes!" I think I heard it the first time. He pushed her into a hug, and she gladly allowed him to. She closed her eyes, and I felt that she knew. For that split second, I thought she knew it was me.

Jess turned to look at me, but I didn't bug. My whole body tense up, as I feel that drop fall down my cheek.

I cried. I am literally about to cry for this girl.

I quickly get up from the table, not caring that I was causing a scene. I just needed out. Closed to the door, I grabbed my jacket and as soon as I was about to open the door, she showed up. She pulled me back, and I knew it was too late. My voice said it all. I was crying in front of her, I was letting myself go.

"Luke..."

"No I'm happy for you. I really am."

She formed a frown, and looked away from my crying self. "Luke..."

"No. Casey.... Just stop."

"Okay." She moved aside, and I don't know how or why I did it, but I did. My body moved towards her and kissed her right there in the hallway. I pressed my lips onto her like it was the last time I was going to see her, maybe it was. I don't know anymore.

She didn't bug. She didn't even move a muscle as I did this. Instead she let me be, kissing me back as if this was real.

Now I know she feels something. Too bad it would soon be nothing.

I release myself from her, and walked out the door.

But before I could do that. I whispered into her ear, "Cheers to you my love." My body was doing its own little thing because I would never be doing this if it wasn't for him.

For a while, I just drove. It seemed like there was no place in California that I could go and relax myself, until I found it. I parked my car and walked up the steep hill, and sat there.

Is it just me or was it that fact that I believed that she was following all the way here that made me think something else. It really was. Too much movies and you start thinking of your life as one.

To be honest, all I did was sit here and cry. I cried so much that the tears had stopped coming.

Why was I so stupid?

Why did I leave her?

All of this would have gone so differently. I could have had her with me right now; I could have been the one to ask her that question.

Chase didn't even deserve her, I did. I worked my butt off, I tried every possible way, ha I even hired a spy, great work that was.

Then it hit me. Uncle Sam was right. I did all that, but never ever told her how I feel. And when I did...It was too late.

*******
What did you guys think?
What you think about this sudden change?
Comment, like, share