Chapter 25

Sorry sa super late update!

Chapter 25
Don't Fall

I was looking at him, my eyes almost begging for him to speak up but he didn't. Ganiyan na siya kanina pa. All the while I was explaining to him why Paolo was inside my office, he was just staring at me and perhaps, listening too. I didn't know. Wala siyang reaksyon sa kahit anong sinabi ko!

I was almost relieved when I saw him about to open his mouth as if to speak. He's going to tell me it's all okay now, right? But just before words came out of his mouth, the sound of the door opening was heard inside the room. Sabay kaming napatingin ni Jiro sa pinto at nakita ang nakadungaw na ulo ni Paolo.

God. Not now. Please. Close that door and just leave!

When his eyes caught our direction, he opened the door wider, stood straight and went inside. Shit.

"There you are..." sabi niya sa akin na para ba akong kalarong nahuli niyang nagtatago. "Lance said you left his office already... You took long so I asked Shiela where you are."

"W-why are you here?" I asked in my most business-like voice, if that's what you call it. I wanted Jiro to see, to hear or whatever... that the kind of relationship I have with Paolo now was purely business.

Jiro cleared his throat. Napatingin naman si Paolo sa kanya. "O! Jiro Cervantes," sabi niya na parang ngayon lang niya napansin na nandoon din si Jiro. I almost rolled my eyes.

"Paolo Salvatorre."

I was just watching them. I couldn't say anything! At kung magsasalita man ako, ano ang sasabihin ko? I wasn't even sure if I've breathed already from the moment Paolo entered the room!

"Paolo Romualde," he corrected him. Umupo siya sa lone seater sofa sa bandang gilid ni Jiro. He pulled out a cereal bar from his pocket. "Kumusta? Tagal nating 'di nagkita, ah?" kaswal na sabi niya kay Jiro habang binubuksan ang pakete ng cereal bar.

"Yeah, it's been long."

"Years na rin, 'no? The last time I saw you... sa Dugout 'yon, 'di ba? You were drinking with your friends... colleages? I even remember Kelly!"

And then suddenly, I felt the tension building up inside the room. Napatingin ako kay Paolo. Although I have not met her personally, I knew who Kelly was - the girl Paolo was talking about. Why did he have to bring her up?

Siya 'yung naging girlfriend ni Jiro noong unang taon niya sa trabaho. That fact wasn't a secret. Jiro told me about it, and it was all fine with me. Wala naman kaming relasyon ni Jiro before I went to the States. Heck, I didn't even talk to him at the airport! In fact, knowing he had a girlfriend while I was in the States... surprisingly brought relief to me. That he wasn't all caught up in our past like I was.

That relationship ended quickly though because it didn't work out. It was a brief romance. After all, I guess Jiro's supposed to end up exactly here. By my side... for he's the man I love.

"It's really a long time ago..." Jiro said, seemingly uncomfortable with the topic.

"Uhuh," he said. I immediately noticed the haughtiness in his voice. Kaya matalim ko siyang tinignan. Dahil doon ay agad nawala ang ngisi sa kanyang labi. Yes, he was grinning! Bumaling muli siya kay Jiro, "Kumusta siya? She's a nice girl..."

Why was he doing this? Because of that grin of his, I was sure he knew Kelly was Jiro's girlfriend back then. At alam niya na ang tungkol sa amin ni Jiro. So ano, bastusan lang, gano'n?

"Ako 'yung iniwan mo pero sa kanya ka bumalik?"

Jiro's jaw clenched. And as if it were a reflex, I held his hand. Nakita ko ang mabilis na pagdapo ng tingin si Paolo sa kamay ko ngunit hindi ko iyon pinansin. What mattered most was the fact that Jiro held my hand too. That he didn't let go even if he was still probably disappointed at me. Kuntento na ako sa gano'n.