Emily scowled. ''I'm just trying to make sure we're not making a mistake in trusting them.''

''What do you want to ask me, Emily?'' Director Shaw asked. ''You've obviously got something you want to say. So, go on. Ask.'' He was challenging her; testing her to see if she'd crack under pressure. Would she freeze up and drop the entire thing? No, she wouldn't do that. She had to see this through. She had to know for sure whether he could be trusted or not.

She eyed the man for a moment. What if he lied again? That was surely a possibility. After a long internal debate, she decided to just ask the question. After all, an answer was better than nothing. 

''Did you know that there would be Primonium in those crates?''

A long pause settled in the room. The tension thickened in the air like a thick gas; it was practically visible. The man removed his glasses, folded them, and sat them down on his glass desk. He huffed, almost laughing to himself. Emily's body filled to the brim with nervous energy. She feared if he didn't say something soon, she'd spontaneously combust.

Finally, he cleared his throat.

''Yes,'' he said. ''I did know.''

Emily's face fell. She blinked a few times processing—or trying to, at least—the information. The others gaped at the man. Some appeared to be shocked while the others quietly expressed their feelings of betrayal. Even Stella looked skeptical of the man's answer.

''I may be the CEO of this company but there are people above me,'' Director Shaw elaborated. He sighed, rubbing his forehead. ''I have orders just as you do. I don't decide everything that goes on. They wanted the Primonium intact.''

She couldn't believe what she was hearing.

''Why not just tell us? Why lie?''

''They preferred it if I kept you in the dark. Less questions that way.'' He chuckled humorlessly. ''Looks like they were wrong about that.''

''Who's above you then?'' Andre asked. ''Can they be trusted?''

The man nodded. ''There is nothing to be worried about. My benefactors are good people. They just prefer their confidentiality.'' He exhaled and equipped his glasses. ''If it means anything, I'm sorry you had to find out this way. I had no ill intent by deceiving you. I was just following orders. I hope you all understand.''

Emily noticed he hadn't answered Andre's question. Before he revealed he had superiors, she'd been under the impression he was fully in charge of Atlas. That apparently wasn't the case. He'd piqued her interest now. Who were these people he worked for? How could she be certain they weren't the real bad guys. As of right now, she wasn't sure what to believe.

But at the same time, he'd never given her a reason to question him. Oscar had been right earlier; Director Shaw displayed great kindness thus far. He could've easily had her and her friends experimented on and kept as lab rats. Had Kane gotten to them, that certainly would've been their fate. He and the Atlas agents saved them from that.

She couldn't help but wonder who Shaw worked for. They couldn't have been any worse than Kane, though. Kane was a monster. He was too engrossed in his delusions of a better world that he couldn't see he was on a course to destroy it.

Atlas couldn't have been too bad if they were trying to stop that.

''Well...this was interesting,'' Oscar said, breaking the chilling silence. He sent Emily an unimpressed glance. ''You done with your interrogation session, diabla?'' She flicked him off, earning a cheeky grin from the boy.

''Any other questions?'' Director Shaw asked.

No one spoke up. Emily got all the answers she needed—for now. She'd find out who were pulling the strings above Shaw's head later. In the time being, she'd dedicate her efforts to defeating Kismet and making sure they couldn't hurt anyone more people than they already had.

She turned her attention to the pine forest outside Winter was upon them, and with it came the snow. It decorated the verdant trees, covering everything in a glittering, white blanket. The burned in the afternoon sky above, its light reflecting off the wintery veil. It was cold. Unforgiving. Beautiful, even.

Director Shaw had lied to them. But he was just following orders. While she couldn't relate, as she had her own issues with abiding to any kind of authority, she understood. The man had more than just himself to think about. She was sure he simply did what he thought was best. He couldn't be blamed for that.

Still, she wasn't sure if she could trust him one-hundred percent. Only time would tell. For now, she'd fight in this war against Kane and Kismet. That was what mattered now. But after that was done, she wasn't sure what she'd do. She rested her chin on her palm, continuing to take in the sights outside the window.

Only time would tell.