''Just asking so I can make any necessary edits to the mission report,'' the man added. ''It's procedure after coming back from a mission.''

''Nah, boss. Everything was fine,'' Oscar answered.

''You shoulda' seen it!" Theo exclaimed. He whizzed around the room, giggling like a child. He ended up on top of an unoccupied couch. ''It was amazing. I was like...zoom! Chase and Andre were like...pow! And Emily was like...hey, what sound do arrows make?'' He took a pause to use his inhaler.

''There were a ton of crates in that building, though,'' Chase said, ignoring his hyperactive friend. ''It got me thinking. Kane's machine must be huge if he's got that much equipment.''

Director Shaw nodded. ''If it's intended to spread the Primonium across the planet, I'd assume it would have to be of great size.''

''Are you sure that's what was in those crates?'' Emily interrogated.

This façade had gone on long enough. She needed answers. Now.

Director Shaw's forehead crinkled at her question. ''Is something wrong, Emily? You seem...upset.''

Chase cleared his throat while glaring at her from the corner of his eye. The look on his face screamed ''what the hell are you doing?''. She steadied herself. Normally, she'd heed one of his warnings but not this time. No. She needed answers.

''Depends on whether you're lying or not.'' She straightened her posture, her tongue sharp.

Director Shaw's entire shifted. It was like someone flipped a switch. His sharp features darkened, his mouth compressing into a tight, thin line. Everyone besides Chase cast the two of them strange glances.

''Emily, what are you talking about? What would he be lying about?" Stella questioned.

Emily shrugged. The director stared directly at her. His glasses did nothing to soften the blow of his harsh stare. Her stomach jumped. He really was lying to them.

Chase frowned. ''You sure you want to do this, Emily?''

Theo jumped down from the couch. ''Do what? What the heck is going on?'' Andre shrugged next to him. Everyone watched Emily intently, waiting for her to continue.

She wanted to be able to trust Director Shaw and Atlas if she was going to be working them. And the only way to be she could develop that trust was if the man provided her with a suitable explanation for his lies.

''There were bags of Primonium in one of those crates.''

He rubbed his chin. ''I see. And what led you to go snooping throughout the shipment?''

''We had a chat with your son yesterday,'' Chase admitted. ''He said you were lying about what was really in those boxes, so we went to go make sure.''

Stella frowned at both Emily and Chase. ''Why would you listen to a word that psycho said?'' She smiled weakly at Director Shaw. ''No offense.''

''None taken.''

''Well, crazy or not, he was right.'' Emily pointed at the director. ''Apex said you knew all along that there weren't machine parts in those containers. I didn't want to believe him, trust me, but what he was saying got us thinking.''

Seemingly irritated, Oscar threw his hands up. ''You're really going to let a confirmed psychopath turn you against the man who saved our lives?'' He stood up and gestured around the room. ''Seriously? These people have let us into this amazing facility, helped us control our powers, and gave us everything we asked for and you still don't trust them?'