Five

§

The show was in front of hundreds of ponies. I peeked my head around the corner. Almost all of Equestria out there. This was my very first show... at least in front of hundreds—no THOUSANDS of ponies.

I stepped back and Soarin, Blaze, and Lightning Streak were standing right there. "Do you think it's big enough? I mean, I don't want to get hurt, and I—"

"Rainbow Dash, it's for the routine. No routine has ever been so boring." Soarin interrupted. "We have performed this routine multiple times for practice and for shows! You can't disagree it needs something cool."

"I guess." I lowered my head, worried about what Spitfire might do to me. Maybe I shouldn't do it...

We started the routine. In the middle, I caught a glimpse of my friends. I smiled and continued the routine, making sure I don't get too distracted and mess up.

Thunderlane was in front of me. He was flying out of place and I was following, assuming he was right.

"Dash! Get back into the routine!" Soarin warned me. I wasn't sure what to do. I thought Thunderlane was correct, but Soarin was telling me to fly into place. I should have listened to Soarin, considering the fact that Thunderlane was taken from the 'B' team to fill in for Silver Zoom. Silver was sick and couldn't make the trip.

But I gave up. I flipped out of the line, and flew up really high. I kept going, until I could see the tip of the clouds.

I took a deep breath. I flew up here to do my Sonic Rainboom. Thunderlane threw me off track, and Soarin was bringing me back in. I will just have to confront Thunderlane for being wrong, for throwing me off.

I blinked. The next thing I knew, I was flying down, preparing my Rainboom. I was so close to the stadium ground to where I made a sharp turn up and pulled my Sonic Rainboom.

I completed a rainbow and flew back down to the rest of the team. They had been finished. They finished right when I stared flying up. That's when I immediately put a face of guilt on. I could've just finished the routine. But anger took hold of me.

"Thunderlane! What were you doing back there? You were flying all over the place except the right place!" I shouted, pushing my goggles up into my mane.

"What do you mean, Dash? YOU WERE THE ONE NOT FOLLOWING MY ROUTINE!" Spitfire shouted at me.

"I got out because I was following Thunderlane and he was wrong!" I defended myself.

"That's no excuse! You could've just finished the routine! Instead, you go and do your own thing." Spitfire shot right back at me.

"Yeah, well... I did it because they told me to. They said the—"

"Rainbow Dash! I don't ACCEPT excuses! I'd have no choice but to SUSPEND you from the Wonderbolts for two weeks." Spitfire threatened.

"Suspend me? For two weeks? But that's when we go to Canterlot! how will you do the next show without me?" I was starting to tear up.

"A reservist. The Pegasus on top of the list, will take your place." Spitfire said.

"But, who is it?" I asked, trying to hold back my tears.

Lightning Dust walked down the hall of the Crystal Empire, Cadence following.

"Oh, perhaps I am on the top of the reserve list. I'll be taking your spot in the Wonderbolts for two weeks and the show in Canterlot." Dust laughed.

I wasn't merely sad anymore. I was angry. I wasn't going to let her get in my way. Out of all ponies, all Pegasi... not Lightning Dust.