Chapter 4

I awoke breathing heavy knowing I had had another nightmare. I looked over to see August sleeping soundly. Angel looked up as I stood.

"Would you like to take a walk with me?" I whispered quietly.

Angel got up and shook his fur. We walked to the edge of the clearing and took a stroll around the encompassing trees.

"Do you fear sleep lady Clara?" Adelia's voice sounded behind me.

I turned around to greet her. "Lady Adelia, yes, I have not slept well in the past years. I'm haunted with nightmares."

"Those my darling are images of our past and of the war raging on." She said stroking Angels flank.

"I too remember those visions, the key is to let them in and learn. You have been pushing away your magic, trying to hide it, you must let it out and learn to control it."

"I do not know how Lady."

"That is why I am here, would you like me to show you?" She nodded to a ditch to our left. I nodded.

She raised her hand and a blue surface appeared over the ditch. I gasped as she walked on it as if it was an actual structure. She motioned for me to stand with her. I hesitantly walked along the blue surface in awe.

"How are you doing this?" I asked, gaping down at the surface. The surface was a clear blue and I could see the bottom of the ditch about 5 feet below us.

"All you have to do is focus. Now try to create what I have done." She said pulling me off the surface as it disappeared. "Picture what you want in your mind and will your magic to create it."

I put my hand out as she did and closed my eyes. I pictured a small purple square above the ditch. When I opened my eye I could see it, I stepped up and felt a rush of excitement right before the square disappeared under my feet. I fell onto a blue surface Adelia had created right under me and stepped back on the ground.

"That was a good first try but you lost focus." She said smiling. "You will learn in time. When you wield your magic your focus must be strong, when you are fighting a demon you have to be able to focus on not only battling the one confronting you but as well as blocking other so they don't kill you."

I shuttered at the thought of ever seeing a demon again.

"Most Magics are claimed at birth, they give off a signal of energy to the elders, and it's very puzzling as to why we never found you." She looked off into the trees. "However, you are here now, we have a lot of training to do, but for right now you need rest and August is wondering where you are."

"How do you know that?" I asked surprised.

"I can sense it, sensing the feelings of creatures and sensing your surroundings is something you too will come to learn. Come now Clara, we train when the sun rises." She said and held out her arm to me.

I linked my arm through hers as we walked back to the clearing followed by Angel.

"You have grown a strong attachment to this buck." Adelia said glancing back. "He is very protective of you. Animals can sense a kind heart, he is also grateful that you saved his life."

"He saved mine." I replied. "It was my pleasure to return the favor."

"Your magic protects you as well. It protected you against the Calzor demon and healed Angel."

"All I knew is that I needed to protect us, I'm not sure how it happened. The light came out of my hands and the demon burst into flames. As for Angel, I couldn't lose him, I knew I had to save him."

"You were focused. Your mind works with your energy, will and strength, as I have seen you possess a great amount of that." She paused. "I'm sorry to hear about your human family. If it puts you more at ease, I can tell you that your brother is well, a shallow cut on his head and a few bruises but he is doing well."

"The village, Annabell, my family, they must think me evil. They think I'm a witch, I thought I was a witch."

"People fear what they do not understand, you are not evil, Magics are light, but it is unsafe for you to go back and expose yourself. "

I nodded, my heart felt heavy as we neared the spot I had left August, he was sitting up watching us.

"Merry night Clara, I will meet you at sunrise." Adelia said and squeezed my hand.

"Merry night Lady."

When she had disappeared into one of the tents Angel and I walked back to our spot that August was at.

He looked up into my eyes. "What troubles you lady?"

I sat next to him and folded my legs together. "Why would I be troubled?" I asked quietly.

He put his hand to my left cheek. "Because you are crying." He wiped the tears away gently.

I sighed. "My village must think I am a monster, I injured my brother when he tried to wake me, then I injured a man."

"The man that did this to your beautiful face?" August asked.

I nodded.

"Well then he deserved it! No man should ever attack a woman. It is wrong."

"He thought me a threat, he thought me a witch. My mother, what she must think. My father-"My voice faltered. "The hatred in his eyes broke my heart."

"My deepest apologies Clara." He said brushing his fingers along my thigh.

I sighed. "All will be well, I begin training in the morning with Adelia."

August stood up. "Then I shall show you to your tent." He said holding out his hand.

I shook my head. "I would like to stay outside with Angel."

"Then I bid you goodnight Clara." He said and began to turn away.

"Wait!" I said. He turned. "May I ask you stay?"

He smiled and laid beside me putting his arm around my shoulders.

"I shall stay as long as you wish me to." He whispered.

I laid my head on his chest and closed my eyes. Forever. I thought.