Chapter 2

I opened my eyes to blazing sunlight, I must have passed out for a few minutes or so. My head was pounding, and everything was in searing pain. I heard a crunch of leaves a few feet away and tensed up, holding my breath. I exhaled as I saw a buck come into view. It looked at me and I stared back. I held out my hand and carefully stood up, the buck took a few steps closer until he was inches away from my hand. I closed the distance and placed my hand on his neck. His fur was warm and soft, and he relaxed under my touch. I had never been this close to a live animal before, all we did is kill them for food out here. We are scavengers and hunters, forage and kill, that's what we have been taught. I couldn't believe that this animal was so gentle.

And then I heard it.

Men yelling and running. I looked frantically at the buck, it mirrored my fear. My hand glowed purple against its skin, suddenly the buck dipped down nudged my stomach with its head snorting. I wrapped my arms around the buck's neck and he reared up, I slid onto its back, gripping my hands together around his thick neck. The shouts were louder, I turned my head to see the men approaching, carrying pistols and knives. I looked back and my eyes connected with my father. His eyes were red and furious.

"Papa!" I cried. I saw him aim as we shot through the trees, and jumped as I heard gunfire ring out behind us.

The wind whipped my hair into my face as the buck ran and leaped over bushes and tree trunks. I kept my head close to the back of its neck hoping to shield the wind better. My arms ached, my stomach growled and my head was pounding. It took all the strength in me to hold on. After a while of running, leaping, twisting and swerving we stopped by a ravine. The buck knelt down and I ungracefully felt onto my side. I crawled to the edge and took some water in my hands. After drinking a few handfuls of the cool liquid I removed the fabric from my head, exposing the cut in my face, I could feel how deep it was as a few tears rolled down my eyes. I splashed water onto my face and lightly cleaned all little scratches and the large cut choking back a scream. When I was done with that I moved to my feet, taking the bloodied fabric off I washed them in the water and examined them further. There were two larger cuts and a bunch of bruises. Ripping the sleeves off my dress I re-bandages my face and feet, knowing there was nothing I could do about my hands I let them be.

I looked at the buck who had drank some of the ravine water as I had and put my hand out to him. He trotted to my side and laid down next to me. I leaned against him and rubbed his flank.

"Thank you my friend." I whispered closing my eyes. I listened to our surroundings, the water lapping against the sides of the shallow trenches, the birds above chirping as if the world hadn't just shattered. I thought about my brother Henry hoping that he's alright and that I hadn't hurt him too badly. When I left him he was still breathing, that had to be a good thing. Warm tears stuck to my eyelashes and I blinked them away. How could I be so stupid? How could I have let these powers take control like that? A few accidents had happened before but no one was ever around to get hurt. I looked around the small space of forest that we were in, realizing that we must have been miles and miles away from the village, hoping they wouldn't get on the steeds and start a man hunt.

Good. Now I can't hurt anyone. I thought to myself. Trying not to panic I thought about what I would do now. A girl of eighteen years living out in the wild alone. What would happen when the darkness set? It was just hours away. Thankfully I was a farmer in the village so I know how to find some food. My head was spinning with all these thoughts, along with the loss of blood. I looked down at myself, my dress torn, no sleeves and no bottom, bare legs and arms, I could only imagine what mother would think. There was a tug at my heart. Mother. She must hate me.

As if the buck could sense my feelings he nudged me with his nose, careful not to hit my head with his antlers.

"What am I to call you?" I asked petting his snout. I thought for a second. "How about Angel? Since you saved me, you're my guardian angel. He nudged me again. "Okay, Angel it is. I'm Clara and I guess you know I'm a witch."