Chapter 3

I felt it before I opened my eyes. A hand lightly touched my face. I snapped my eyes open and threw my magic out and launched whoever had touched me across the Ravine. Both Angel and I shot up from the ground and he stood in front of me.

I looked over Angels back to see a man brushing himself off. He was wearing some odd clothes. All black trousers and tunic with some knee high black boots. His arms were bare, and his chest was slightly exposed. His tanned skin was corded with muscle. His hair jet black making his green eyes stand out.

I realized both the stranger and Angel were looking at me. I cleared my throat. "Who are you?" I called,my voice sounding hoarse and cracked.

The stranger took a few steps forward with his hand in front of him. "It's okay." He said. "I'm not going to hurt you." He stepped across the ravine and Angel made a threatening noise.

"No but I can hurt you!" I said putting my glowing hands in front of me.

"You're a magic." He said.

"A-A what?" I asked, still standing with my arms outstretched.

"A magic. I came as fast as I could when I saw the light." He looked at my arm with concern. "You're hurt. " He said and took a few steps closer, we were a few feet away with Angel in between us and he seemed furious.

"Angel it's ok." I said and he stepped back a few feet.

I looked down at my arm and paled. It wasn't its usual ivory color, it was replaced by an angry looking cut, red with black spirals twining from my wrist to my elbow, that's when I the world started spinning. My knees buckled under me and the stranger caught me in his arms.

"Whoa, easy, it will be okay." He said and picked me up. One of his hands were around my waist while his other was very high up on my bare thigh. I tensed up.

Angel came up from behind and nudged the stranger.

"I don't think he likes me very much." He said.

Angel knelt on the ground in front of the stranger. He set me on Angels back.

"Thank you for your kindness." I said.

"My pleasure." He said and bowed low at the waist. "My name is August."

"I'm Clara."

"I'm a Keeper so you're in good hands." He was playing with the string on a bow that I had just noticed was slung across his shoulder.

"A what? Keeper? Magic? This is all absurd. What's happening to me?"

He ran his fingers through his hair. "That my lady is complex. Magics and Keepers work together to fight off demons that threaten our lands. We work together but we are separate unities. Keepers are humans who have abilities, not like Magics, we are like evolved humans. We can run faster and longer, jump higher, we're stronger, we don't tire easily. Magics are-"He hesitated, "I'm not really sure, you're a magic. You can do things ordinary humans cant. Magics have the ability to bend the laws of nature, I guess it all depends on the Magic."

I stared blankly at him.

"Let's get to camp, we can explain all about our history and bandage you up."

"We?" I exclaimed. Pulling slightly at Angel's neck to make him stop.

August turned around. "Clara it's okay, we are all Keepers, you are safe with us, the Magics and the Keepers are united. Once we get to camp we will contact Adelia and get you to the Magics. You're safe, please trust me." He took my hand. "I won't hurt you my lady. By the look of it you could use some good rest."