Chapter Twenty Four

I tossed my jacket across my body as I collect my grandé vinalla latté and pumpkin roll from the server at Starbucks. Residency was kicking our butts, but who cared. We got to cut people open based on our own discretion and what could be better than that.

I walked near the table that faced the window where Bria was sitting, planning away her daughter Twyla's fifth birthday party. She was super excited and so was I. Being a mother didn't mean your life was placed on hold, it just meant your time now belonged to someone else, who needed it more than you.

"This is harder than I thought. My mother should've been thankful I hated dolls and friends, or else they would've died." Bria complained as she took back her second cup of coffee.

"So what do you have so far?" I asked.

"Um, the theme."

"And?"

"The theme in words written right here on this piece of paper." She said proudly like she had made a huge leap.

"Bria, that would've been nice if her birthday wasn't five days away. Did you book an entertainer, a cater, the cake, the tents for the kids to sit under, the tables to place the food, cake, gifts and toys on? Did you get her a costume yet? Her hair done? What about the balloon and invites?" I riddled of at her.

"OMG...Thank You so much GG...I feel so much relief now!" She said poking her eyes out at me. "Lord, what do I do."

"First of all, call a bakery. She likes pink and fairies. Get them to make her a Tinker Bell cake with "Happy Twyla Day" in pink frosting. How much are you willing to pay for a cater?"

"Like 1,500 the most. I want finger food. Like fried chicken, meatballs, nuggets, fries, shrimps, onion rings..stuff like that."

"Good. My mother is an excellent cook and will do it for the party. She can buy the things and cook at your place. Next thing, the invites. You have to go to a gift shop right now and get those invites together or else she'll have a party with no friends. After, you need to go to a botique and get her a custom made pink gown with a crown."

"Okay, gown and crown." She said writing things down as fast as possible. "What else?"

"A face painter, animal balloon maker and two pretty girls who can act. Let them do a skit from Tinkerbell. Then, call an all girls band, let them sing songs she'd like. Make sure you get the balloons and decorations. Anything else that we missed?"

"Really? You're asking me?" She squinted

"I know right. Thats like asking a wall to move." I giggled as I munched on the pumpkin roll that was in my hands.

~~~~~~

The baby that laid on my chest was no longer a baby. She was a striving, thriving genius in the making and I loved every bit of it. My days were fill with sick or dying patients, angry and afraid love ones and drama; but my nights were fill with love. Brooklyn was aiming close to a year old now and I couldn't wait. Bit by bit she was perfecting her walk.

"Say Hi Mummy." I talked to Brooklyn as she jumped up and down my chest.

"Yaaaaayyyyaaaaaa.....yaaaa....daadadaa." She smiled at me.

"What?" I questioned as I sat with my back towards the bed head. "Did you say dadaa?" I questioned.

"Dada...yayaya..nananana." She continued as she moved her toy up and down her hands.

"That's right. Daddy. Dadaa." I smiled at her as I begin video taping her as she said 'Dada..dada' a few more times. "Your daddy love you too baby girl." I whispered as I hugged her closely. "And he'd do anything to hear that one word." I kissed her cheeks as she pulled on her chewable toy.

I turned on my back as Brooklyn laid on my chest. Shortly after a few rocks and melodies, she was sound asleep. I stared at the ceciling in my room as my thoughts overcame me. Even though I was starting to feel relief with time, the thought of Carter never seeing his daughter haunted me. He could never see me again, but not his baby girl, I couldn't live with.

Each night, I planned and came up with ideas on how to make this work. How can I find him, how can I travel without my finger prints being ID and without Mr. Dean and his father finding me before he does. These were the blocks that stood in my way and bit by they were being torn down. A whole year had past and he hasn't even found me and I couldn't live with that. I needed to find him and the only way I can do that is to make him come to Seattle.

~~~~~

I sat in the resident lounge, strolling through my laptop while chewing on my red apple with a huge smile on face. What can say, I am just bless! The smell that obershadowed me, was gifted by my patient Marcaus who just had a liver transplant, John who just had a piece maker installed in him and Mrs. Tower who was doing 100% better and had been discharged. To top it of, Carter and his team just announced that the beginning of his new hotel structure in Seattle will begin later this year or early next year.

"Did Dr. Cruz finally took a dipped in your healed vagina?" Bria asked sipping her latté and crashing besides me.

"No. Ew Bria." I said punching her arm.

"Don't 'EW' me, if you had said 'EW' the first time around then you wouldn't have got pregnant."

"I couldn't say EW, his dick had me at 'Hello'." I joked.

"I know the feeling all to well. Twyla's sperm donor wasn't even close to big, but he felt good cause I was a virgin. Now, with Dr. Weston it feels like a booty camp exercise. I stay touching my toes." She smiled proudly.

"Stop with the info. I can't get any so I don't wanna hear about any." I whined.

"You don't want any. Dr. Cruz is right here waiting to blow your back out. You're just stuck on the past."

"Brooklyn's dad is not my past. He's my future and I'm not letting that go."

"Fine then. Just let your vagina cry." She pouted.  Our highly inappropriate conversation was cut short as my pager rang off. "Can we just talk in peace without a page?"

"Apperantly not, Dr. Burton just paged." I said closing my laptop down and dashing to the surgerical floor. After sprinting past a few patients and interns, I finally made it to Dr. Burton who was in a room filled with police officers.

"Dr. Burton what do we have here?" I asked surveying the patient who was screaming and partically about to go into a panic attack.

"Beckham, this patient came highly recommended by Mrs. Tower. We have got another one on our hands."

"What's the patient's name and why do they have her head covered?" I questioned as I sent for my interns.

"Don't know as yet but we're shipping her to the psychiatric ward. Then we'll go from there." Dr. Burton said making room for the interns to transport the patient.