Chapter 30

~ Anna's POV ~

I see the text I just received, and drop my phone.

I look around on my balcony, trying to see if I can see anybody. On the fear of being watched some more, I grab my phone and go inside. I quickly lock my balcony door.

I'm not going to tell anyone about this. I'm not.

Ding Dong.

Hopefully it's Daniel.

I go downstairs and look through the peep hole on the door to see Daniel.

I let him inside and say, "Let's go up to my room."

Jonah is no longer in the living room so he must be in his room.

I lock the front door and go to check if the back door is locked as well. I see that all the doors are locked. You know, I have to take precautions now.

I go upstairs and see Daniel laying on my bed.

"Today has been a crazy day." Daniel says when I walk in and close the door.

"Talk about it." I say.

I go and lay down next to Daniel.

"You know, I like having you as company." I say.

"I do, too." He says with his eyes closed and a little smile on his face.

"Make sure not to fall asleep. It's almost 8, and you can't spend the night, remember?" I tell him.

"Oh, I know. But I snuck out because my dad said no."

I take a deep breath, and start to cough.

"Daniel!" I say.

"What?" He says calmly.

"Do you know how much trouble you will be in if your parents find out? And me, too! I'd be in trouble, too!" I tell him.

"Well, I wanted to see you."

"Still! We could've seen each other tomorrow!"

"It's no big deal. Really, it isn't."

"No big deal? Yes, it is! You're already in trouble and I don't want your punishment to get worse. Your dad could tell you to not see me anymore. And that would be the end of it. He might think I'm a bad influence, or-" Daniel sits up and cuts me off before I could finish.

"My dad loves you, Anna. He was telling me this morning about how much he loves you! He wouldn't do that to you or me. The worst that can happen now is he adds time to my punishment."

"Still, Daniel. I don't want it to be because of me." I say quietly.

"It's not."

My phone starts to ring and I look at the caller ID to see who it is.

It says:

Private User

"Who is that?" Daniel says.

I quickly press the end button and come up with the quickest excuse I could think of.

"Tax collectors."

"Tax collectors never call you. Plus, I know when you're lying because your eyes go big."

Damn.

"It was tax collectors, I swear." I say but not directly to him.

"You aren't looking me in the eyes." He says.

I can't lie to him. Anyone else? Yes. To him? No. He knows me too well.