Chapter 13 - Feeble Solider

The world was still; my mind erratic. There were no ripples on the nights shimmering, beaming surface as the transparent clouds drift by in search of one another, though my eyes drew dreary as the endless night left me with nothing more than an aching heart and masticated nails.

I prayed for my Tyson. But what good is a prayer to a God who has most likely abandoned me for my unforgivable actions?

I couldn't wait here, wait while Tyson is locked away, his hands and legs confined by chains as if he were some prisoner

I couldn't wait here, wait while Tyson is locked away, his hands and legs confined by chains as if he were some prisoner. The only crime he has committed was the stealing of my heart, which I would give again willingly. I must take the situation into my own hands and free him. "Maria, I'm leaving."

"What do you mean my lady?" she probed, trailing behind me.

"I will rescue Tyson, and steal a horse from the stables... I know my way around the kingdom by now... We'll be free."

"Scarlett, you need to rest, you're not thinking straight."

"Rest? How dare I rest while my love is captured? Tomorrow his head will rot on the stakes and I will not go on without him." I sat her down on my bed. "I need your help. Edward, I can't take him with me, it's too dangerous." I walked over to his crib, tucking him in with a kiss. "I need you to care for him while I'm gone. Take him to Tyson's cottage in the country." I began writing down the location of Tyson's private home. We had planned this the night we first laid together. "When I am set, I will come for both of you."

"Scarlett I, I can't-"

"Yes, you can Maria. With the commotion of Tyson and I's disappearance, your loyalty will be questioned. Sell your belongings and gain all your silver, then you can live with Tyson and me." I wrapped my arms around her quivering, frail frame; putting her tongue to silence as she soon tightened the embrace.

"Pray for me," I whispered against her auburn hair, as I swiftly rose to kiss my son for what could be the last time.

"Wait! You can't go looking like that. You will be recognised." Maria protested, trailing behind me.

I looked down towards my nimble sapphire floor-length gown as it glided amongst the stone flooring. The sleeves were squarely cuffed at the elbows, embroidered with such rare intricate details. The suffocating bodice trailed down towards the moderate petticoat. Maria securely strung the bodice so tightly, I could barely breathe. "Then what do you suppose I wear?"

Her face enlightened. "I've got it! A maid's uniform."

"What?"

"No royal or guard has ever looked a maid in the eye, why would they start now?"

"Oh, Maria!" I kissed each of her cheeks. "Oh, the cleverness of you."

---------------------------------------------------------------҉-----------------------------------------------------------------

I was complete, though I wasn't in disguise. I belonged in this attire; I was no lady pumping with royal blood... I was a commoner, a slave, a stable worker that caught the eye of a beast. "Maria, there is one thing I must ask of you. Please inform Elliot that I will need two horses, the fastest in the stable. He knows which I am requiring."

"Of course Scarlett."

I picked up the tray that held the glass of wine sculled by the King. "Maria, I have never truly thanked you enough for all you have done for me. And If I don't return –"

"Go Scarlett; give your thoughts no tongue. You will return."

"But if I don't," I continued. "Look after my son. Don't tell him about me and the King; if he ever asks about his father and me; tell him he had two very loving parents that would have done anything to protect him. Keep my secret Maria, keep them within these walls."

"Yes, Scarlett." She kissed my hands and hurried me out the door. "I'll keep you in my heart." She murmured behind me.