Chapter 8 - The Ball

Two months on and an early, sunny morning formed a blissful atmosphere in my trifling, little room. However, the beauty of the moment was interrupted by Sir Thomas. "Lady Scarlett." This was the first time he referred to me as Lady.

"Yes Sir Thomas?" I huddled my covers up against my chest.

"The King has asked me to invite you to the ball this evening. I must remind you, your options are slim." He firmly spoke.

I hesitated. "Then I assure you, you already know my response."

A cunning grin swept across his reedy face. "And this is what you shall wear." He clapped his hands, and Maria entered the room holding a beautiful crimson red gown.

"It's beautiful." I trembled, reaching out for the fabric.

"I will call Tyson to escort you to this event, don't blunder my dear." He threatened, before striding out of the room, leaving me once again tangled and anxious about the imminent, ominous event.

---------------------------------------------------------------҉-----------------------------------------------------------------

At the ball, I did my best to avoid the centre light. The room was gargantuan, the roof greater than the sky. Ornate fixtures of gold and red portraits hung on each wall, yearning for devotion.

"You look immaculate Scarlett," Tyson admitted, reaching out for my hand.

"You clean up handsomely as well," I spoke, placing my gentle, small hand into his enormous, warm palm as I searched him head to foot. He wore a puffy white shirt and burgundy vest lined with gold.

"They're all staring at you" Tyson spoke. I need not turn around to meet their eyes, as I feel them on my back.

"Is it the dress; too much?" I joked, spinning around in my claret velvet dress, dressed up with pearls and slight square trimming

"It is your radiant beauty that they truly focus on." He spoke, as he slightly nudged me.

"Sure it isn't the peaking baby belly?" the bodice couldn't completely diminish this child's existence.

Tyson nodded his head and tucked away his grin. "It's only been two months Scar. Come, my Lady, we mustn't keep them waiting."

"