2.4 - Jade Eyed Gentleman

The King had not visited for the last few weeks, and although my heart ached, I was too stubborn to say it hurt me. Now that I was noticeably carrying the King's son, he would no longer bed me, as in his words, 'I can't risk anything happening to the child.' Fool. I am not as weak as the Queen, but of course, I respect his concerns.

The morning sky was pink with delight. I decided to take a stroll as far away from the kingdom as I was allowed to go; the gardens. Oh, I could just imagine how beautiful and rich the garden would look if the flowers were properly in bloom. Oh well, I was too invested in this week's novel to notice anyway.

This weeks book was only a 40-page outline of an early version of Nicolaus Copernicus's revolutionary heliocentric theory of the universe titled, The Commentariolus

This weeks book was only a 40-page outline of an early version of Nicolaus Copernicus's revolutionary heliocentric theory of the universe titled, The Commentariolus. Twas a fascinating read, but not one that brought tears to my eyes so I wondered why there were salt stains inside. I then feel a drop fall from the heavens, of course, it's starting to rain. I don't know what it was, but as the rain started to fall, so did my tears. I suddenly felt grateful for my existence, grateful to be alive. Yes, although I have a chain wrapped around my neck, I am being well fed, well dressed and even have handmaids of my own. I couldn't help but spin around and dance in the rain in my cheesecloth frock.

I took off my headdress and let the wind style my hair for a change. Upon my spinning, I came to a halt as I felt a presence behind me. "Oh, Sir Tyson," I curtseyed.

"Lady Scarlett," he bid dismounting his horse and bringing my hand up to his lips

"Lady Scarlett," he bid dismounting his horse and bringing my hand up to his lips. His expression looked concerned, maybe because I was unchaperoned and dancing in the rain.

"We need to stop meeting like this." I chuckled.

"Like how?" he probed, examining my now drenched attire.

"When I look so unpresentable," I admitted, staring into those friendly jade eyes.

"You could never look unpresentable, my lady," he swore, as I sunk deep inside his dimples. He then wrapped my body up in a warm knitted shawl. "Come on, we must go inside. The King would fill with anger if he saw you outside in the rain. You could fall ill, and jeopardise the child."

I then looked down at my drenched frock

I then looked down at my drenched frock. "Oh my, I forgot I was looking after two now. The foolishness of me."

"I wouldn't say you were foolish. I would say you are very spirited, an admirable trait if I may pay you a compliment." He blushed, falling to one knee.

"Sweet Tyson, you may shower me with sweet words me anytime you wish. But I fear it means more to me than it should." I giggled before we headed back into the castle.

We headed towards the closest shelter to wait for the weather to subside, and of course, it was the stables. "So tell me about yourself, Tyson, what do you like to do for fun?" I questioned, leaning on the wooden gate beside him. We had bumped into each other a few times around the castle over the last few months, but now I finally had him to myself.

"For fun?" Tyson shrugged.

"Yes, for fun. I suppose a young stallion like yourself would enjoy the company of fine women and even finer brew." I joked.

"You think of me as quite the bachelor don't you?" He chuckled. "What a sly way of you to ask if I've ever laid with a woman."

My cheeks flushed cerise, "I, I ugh" fumbling over the right words.

"Well, I have not. No lady has triggered my interest enough to bed her."

"Really?" I teased. "No lady at all?"

"None." He smirked.

"Not even in this whole Kingdom?"

"No, my lady."

"Not even in these stables?" I teased, leaning closer.

Tysons posture grew taller, as he towered over the top of me. Our noses just shy of touching, the drum in my chest beating faster by the second. His arms framing the sides of my body. "I guess there is one lady who I spotted a few months ago, stroking down a fiery mare in the stables. Covered in dirt, her eyes shone through, penetrating my soul. I asked a young boy for her name, and I dreamt about what I would say to her if I ever mustered the courage to say it aloud."

He breathed down the side of my neck. My body yelped in demand for his touch. Not only was he one of the most beautiful men I had ever laid eyes on, but he thought the same of me. Even without these ridiculous dresses and excessive jewels. He saw me when I was invisible.

"Oh," I exhaled deeply. "Then say it, say her name aloud." Waiting for my name to roll off his lips felt like an eternity.

He rested his lips against my forehead, "Scarlett."

"