It was at times like this, when adrenaline set in, that I noticed the tiniest of details.

In wolf form, her thick pelt protected her from the wind that bit into my tender flesh. Her claws, of such a dark hue that they were barely discernible against the uprooted soil, stretched towards me. If not for her offensive stance I would've thought her beautiful. The effulgent sun-rays fell upon her figure, catching the brownish hues of her fur. Her eyes, filled with a feral desire, bored into mine with such intensity that my legs carried me backwards without my conscious volition. The dulcet tones of her human voice had been traded for deep growls.

"Thea, shift!" Damien bellowed.

Don't you think I would if I knew how?

Give me control.

Judging by the tone of my wolf's voice, it wouldn't be wise to deny her. I immediately succumbed to her wishes.

It was as if I was watching the scene from afar, concealed by the leafy canopies. Light flooded across the field, though it was brightest where I once stood. In my place a wolf appeared- a red, coruscating beacon of sheer power. It wasn't me, really. It was my wolf.

"Her wolf has taken control." Damien was awed.

"I thought that was impossible!" said Alex.

The two wolves met, all tongues and teeth and growls. I was tempted to cast my gaze elsewhere, but the sight of the two warring beasts had enraptured me. I simply stood, silently urging my wolf on, as the opponent sent her sprawling onto the floor. My wolf rose with a growl and feigned a lunge at her legs. In response to what she thought was an attack the brown beast dropped to the floor, snarling.

That was all it took.

My wolf had pounced without a second thought and wrenched her onto her back. The opponent struggled, but she couldn't risk extreme movement; her underbelly was exposed, and her hind legs were pinned between 'mine'. From the corner of my eye I caught Damien counting down, though his words were lost to the jarring shouts of a growing audience.

My wolf, however, seemed to hear what Damien said in perfect clarity. She obediently sidestepped  with a warning growl and I was pulled back into my physical form. I shifted immediately and a tremulous breath escaped my lips.

"Are you okay?"

Damien was beside me in an instant, shielding my naked form from our pack. I nodded, albeit somewhat uncertainly, and rested my head against his chest.

"My wolf, s-she-"

"I know," Damien murmured soothingly. "I know. It's rare, but it happens sometimes. I imagine that it's quite a shock to the system."

I distracted myself with the thrum of my mate's heartbeat. It quickened considerably at my lasting presence, as if sensing my proximity, and a small smile found its way onto my chapped lips. Damien pulled his shirt over his head and slowly pulled it over my trembling form. I shivered again, but not because I was cold.

"You don't have to fight her in human form if you don't want to." Damien reassured.

I frowned. "No, I want to. Everyone else must, and I am no exception."

Damien sought to argue but I rose on shaking legs, reviewing my attacker warily. A scowl scoped her lips.

"On the count of three, you may attack each-other through any means you deem plausible. The aim is to debilitate your opponent with some sort of pin." Damien eyed me cautiously, raking my feeble figure.

"One..."

I could do this.

"Two..."

I was strong, in both body and mind.

"Three!"

Why did I insist on lying to myself?

I wasn't strong. I could hardly carry a shopping bag, never mind pin a trained fighter! She ran towards me and, before I could react, unsheathed a dagger. I shrieked in shock and narrowly escaped its bite.

Since when could we use daggers?

"We can use fucking weapons?" I screamed.

My opponent smirked. "He said any means...right?"

I cursed outwardly. The dagger came towards me again and I spun on my heel, grabbing her dominant arm and twisting it in the opposite direction. She screeched in pain and sent me flying into the mud. I drew a long breath and scrambled upright. Just in time, it seemed, as I hardly had time to react before her leg was flying towards my face.

She used foul methods... maybe it was time to use some of my own.

Before her foot could make contact with my cheek she was flung backwards by an invisible force. I was upon her before she could right herself- my legs were either side of her ribs, effectively locking her place.

Her head collided with mine and I fell backwards, nauseous. She clambered over me and placed her hands around my neck. Damien roared, but when his eyes met mine, I shook my head. I needed to do this on my own.

I squeezed my eye shut and called on the flames. The fire that raged inside immediately responded, simmering just beneath my opponent's hands. She pulled back in pain as welts blossomed across her palms.

"Do you need some water?" I mocked.

She seemed to sense the underlying message beneath my words and shook her head. I paid her no heed and threw my arms out in front of me, pushing my head to the side as a mass of water condensed in the humid air. Just as soon as it had formed I had willed it in her direction. It bound her wrists and legs together before promptly freezing.

I met Damien's awed gaze and raised an eyebrow expectantly. He quickly caught on and grinned.

"5..."

She continued to struggle.

"4..."

A grimace was tugged the corners of her lips downward.

"3..."

By this point, she'd realized her efforts were in vain.

"2..."

A smile graced my lips.

"1!"

I'd won. The ice collapsed into slush and my opponent finally rose, grimacing with respect. I barreled into Damien's arms and he swung me around, laughing.

"You were wonderful." Damien breathed.

I grinned. "I know I was. Praise me!"

"At least now we know you can hold your own, against..." Damien broke off mid sentence, grimacing.

"Hey," I said, my tone one of etiolated nostalgia. "We already know I can hold my own against him. But I'd rather not think about that, let's just-"

"CELEBRATE!"

Alex was weaving through the crowd. He'd painted his face with the union jack colors, and wore the brightest smile I'd ever seen. His laughter was that infectious that even Damien chuckled.

I was about to celebrate with him when the chorus of howls alerted me to an approaching threat.