Chapter III ***

QUESTION FOR TODAY: Christmas 🎅🏼, or Halloween? 👻

Three days later

"I don't want to go," I whined, tugging at Tom's sleeve.

He swigged the vodka and offered me a crooked grin. "You have to, T. It's only school."

I slapped the bottle out of his hand and frowned. "I'm going to look weird."

"No, you won't look weird," he raised an eyebrow. "But you'll sound weird."

"Thanks for that vote of confidence." I grumbled, twirling my spoon.

"I'm only kidding," he laughed. "You should be fine."

I muttered something incoherent and retired to my bedroom, sparing a glance at the clock. I had to be ready by 7:30, and it was almost 7am already. I cursed and searched wildly for something to wear and, after a few minutes of deliberation, I opted for a pair of black jeans and a white blouse. I had only ever worn a uniform to school, so choosing an outfit was an endeavour. I dragged a brush through my curls, applied a flick of mascara and jogged downstairs, satisfied.

"Why aren't you wearing a jacket? It's freezing!" Tom exclaimed, raising his eyebrows.

I snorted. "You obviously haven't visited England then."

He opened his mouth to object, though promptly clamped it shut. I smirked.

"See you later, Uncle T." I said.

"Have fun at school!" he shouted after me.

Ha, I thought. School and fun don't belong in the same stratosphere, never mind the same sentence.

I set off down the road, squinting my eyes under the warm gaze of the sun. I had bought myself a cheap backpack from a nearby shop, and I was already regretting my decision. It was resting uncomfortably on the small of my back and dug into my shoulder blades.

"Need a ride?"

I turned around to see a black car cruising down the road. Speechless, I shook my head and picked up the pace.

"Yes please!"

I whirled around. A girl, around my age, was clambering into the car. My eyes widened. Was it an American thing to catch a ride with someone you didn't know? My parents had always drilled it into me that strangers weren't to be trusted, no matter how normal they looked. Muttering a breathless curse, I shot after the girl.

"You can't get in a stranger's car!" I exclaimed, crossing my arms. "It's dangerous!"

The driver turned around and stared at me. "You can see us?"

I raised my eyebrows, trying to mask my fear. "Of course I can."

The girl grinned. "You're a werewolf, then?"

"What? Are you on drugs?" I asked bluntly, stifling a laugh.

"That's a no." she all but sang, blue eyes glinting.

I stumbled away from the car. They were obviously drug addicts, or possibly alcoholics; what else could explain their strange behaviour? They continued to stare at me, gazes heavy and curious, so I did the only thing that made any sense; I readjusted my backpack, mumbled a quick goodbye, and ran in the opposite direction.

____________________________________________________________

"Name?"

I stood by the reception desk, wringing my hands together. Beads of sweat were forming on my forehead and my stomach was roiling, lurching and lasping like the tide. I hated feeling nervous but I couldn't help it, no matter how adamantly I told myself that everything was okay. It wasn't just my first day at a new school. It was my first day at a new school in a different country.

"Thea. Thea Matthews." I murmured, my voice faint and unsure.

"Well, Thea Matthews, I hope you have a brilliant day at Bournemount High. If you need anything, just ask me and I'll be more than happy to help you." she beamed, shoving a timetable into my outstretched hands.

I shot her the biggest smile I could manage in return. My heart was thundering in my chest, the air was knocked from my lungs, and my thoughts were whirling and swirling, spinning in my mind like a carousel--

"Are you Thea?"

A girl stepped into my line of vision, tugging at my arm. I stepped back slightly and nodded.

"Great!" she exclaimed, smiling widely. "I'm Rosa, your guide. It's a pleasure to meet you!"

I immediately warmed to her. "It's nice to meet you too."

"Oh my god, your accent!" she said, covering her mouth. "It's so--"

"Extraordinarily British, I know." was my dry reply.

"I was going to say cute, but that works too," she gushed. "What's your first lesson?"

I looked down at the timetable and smiled. "French, room D106."

She took my arm, winking. "Well, Miss Thea, allow me to lead the way."

_______________________________________

10 minutes later

"So we have a new student today--Thea, is it?" the teacher asked, peering down at me over his glasses.

I stifled a snide reply and smiled. "It's pronounced Tay-a, sir."

Murmurs ran through the class at the sound of my voice and I blushed furiously, ducking my head.

"I sense a British student," he grinned. "Tell me, Thea, what do you think of America?"

It isn't my home.

"It's...warm. Very warm." I managed.

Chuckles ran through the class. "It's hot, just like you."

I turned around. The boy who had spoken was attractive, sure, but he wasn't my type. I smiled at him and faced the front again. If he thought he would get a response, he was very much mistaken. I could tell just from his arrogant demeanour that his ego was the size of Russia.

Several periods later, I took my place next to Rosa at the lunch-table. Everyone was very warm and inviting, though I had never felt so misplaced. I missed Chrissy and her snide remarks--I missed laughing with my friends, and sharing Dairy Milk chocolate at the lunch table. Adjusting to this new life was going to be difficult.

"Who are they?" I asked, looking over my shoulder with a frown.

A group of four men had waltzed into the dining room. They were inhumanly gorgeous—so much so that it was hard to look at them. Lily, who I had just acquainted myself with, quirked a brow.

"Who are you talking about?"

"Those four boys, right by the door!" I pointed at them.

They stiffened as if they'd heard me and turned around, staring disbelievingly. I smiled and waved. The whole lunchroom felt silent as everyone turned to look at me. Time waned on, elastic with tension, and I reluctantly dropped my hand. Why was everyone staring? Was waving a crime?

"There's nobody there, Thea. Are you feeling ok?" Rosa asked.

I looked back at the four boys. They were still staring at me, jaws clenched, eyes seeking mine as if I was special—as if I was impossible. The rivers of blood that thundered through my veins turned to ice.

They were right there.

Yet according to my friends, they somehow weren't.

My heart stuttered as I turned away, staring down at my food.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*