VII

We were at the train station, getting ready to leave. Major Armstrong tagged along with us, stating that he was the most suited in case Scar struck again. Not that I cared at the moment. Hughes was outside the window Edward and Major Armstrong were at. Alphonse was forced to be with the farm animals due to his unusual position of being in literal pieces and in a crate. Edward, Alphonse, and Major Armstrong insisted that I didn't dress professionally in order to avoid attention from the regular folk of Resembool as they aren't the biggest fans of the military.

I had chosen a black, V-neck tank top paired with a brown halter jacket, dark khakis, and combat boots. A belt looped around my khakis held the two sheaths where I kept my swords. My slightly wavy brown hair wasn't tied up, but my fringed bangs almost reached my blue eyes. I need to remember to trim them or else I won't be able to see at all.

I didn't care about any of that. Right now, I clung to my seat in the train, gritting my teeth, trying not to panic. I screamed when I heard knocking, thinking it was an attacker but when I turned it was just Hughes. He looked frightened as well, as I just screamed. I rolled down my window so I could talk to him. "H-H-Hello," I stuttered.

"Evelyn..." Hughes sighed. "You realized the train hasn't taken off yet?"

"I KNOW THAT DON'T REMIND ME!!!"

"Jeez, you're really pale and sweating already, even though the train hasn't moved yet. Guess Roy wasn't kidding about your paranoia on trains. Anyways, before you bordered, I informed the Major about your position on trains. He's well-aware and will try to help you subtly to the best of his ability."

"T-T-T-Thanks H-Hughes."

"Always willing to help the favorite niece of my best friend."

"I AM HIS ONLY NIECE HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO REMIND PEOPLE THAT!!!"

The bell in the station chimed, signaling that it was time to go. The train jerked forward as the wheels slowly turned. I gripped the seat even more tightly now. "Look, just try to grin and bear it," Hughes advised, jogging to keep up with me. "Try to sleep, and don't tear that seat out."

As the train left the station, I stuck a weak hand out to wave him goodbye and he waved back as well. I stuck my hand back into the train and rolled up the window. I now know what hell feels like.

*~*~*~*~*~

Good news: I fell asleep on the train.

Bad news: It was due to over-exhaustion of my body.

I had stayed up nearly all night long on the train when eventually the lack of sleep from the last few nights caught up to me and I collapsed. Major Armstrong occasionally came to me and gave me an "OK" sign, saying that we were going to be fine on the train. Still, I couldn't sleep, no matter how hard I tried.

The train had lulled to a stop and I lazily woke up, stretching from my nap. Glad at least I could sleep for a few hours. By the platform, a middle-aged man with a suitcase came by. Major Armstrong, obviously recognizing the man, slammed the book he was reading shut and leaned out the window, crushing a yawning Edward in the process. "Doctor Marcoh!" Armstrong yelled. "Doctor Marcoh! that is you, isn't it? It's me, Major Alex Louis Armstrong, from Central. Remember?"

The man panicked from being recognized and dashed off. Major Armstrong got off of Edward. "Friend of yours?" He gasped, finally able to breathe again.

"He's a capable state alchemist from Central," Armstrong replied. "He was researching how to apply alchemy to medical treatment, but after the Ishvalan Civil War, he went missing."