Chapter Eighteen

Gabe stood in the corner of the room and waited for Lucifer to emerge from the spare bedroom. As soon as they arrived back at the cabin, his first priority was to have a shower, and change out of the clothes he had been wearing for the last year. It disgusted Gabe that the angels could treat Lucifer so poorly. Unfortunately, that was the least of his worries. He glanced over to the other side of the room where Lilith sat pouting. Her reunion with Lucifer had not gone as she had hoped. Gabe smirked, he tried to warn Lilith that Lucifer would not be pleased with her, if she traded Maddison. He may not have known he had a daughter, but he would have wanted a chance to get to know her. So instead of the hugs, and kisses she expected. Lucifer gave her the cold shoulder, and an evil glare before he walked out of the room to go get cleaned up.

Gabe looked over at the spare bedroom, when the door creaked open. Lucifer walked out, clean, wearing a pristine suit. But still looking battered from all the cuts and bruises that Gabe could see on his face. As soon as Lucifer entered the room the demon council dropped to their knees, and bowed touching their head to the floor. Gabe stayed standing in the corner his arms crossed over his chest. Lucifer turned to look at him, he nodded his head once at him before turning back to the men in front of him on the floor.

'Get up!' He said sounding disgusted at them, he turned from them, walking over to the small bar, and pouring himself a drink. With his drink in hand he walked over to Gabe. 'Explain to me why that girl called me her father?'

Gabe glanced over at Lilith, her face was scrunched up in rage. She must have truly believed that either Maddison wouldn't say anything, or that Lucifer wouldn't care. 'It would seem.' Gabe said trying to think the best way to word his next sentence. 'Lilith has been keeping secrets from you. It appears that she bore you a daughter, and didn't deem you worthy enough to tell you.' He looked sideways at Lilith, and knew she would kill him if she could. 'She abandoned your daughter at an orphanage shortly after she was born.'

'What proof do you have that she is mine?'

'We found you because she was able to track you, from the time you were taken from your condo, too the place they had kept you for this past year.'

Gabe watched as Lucifer processed the information. He took a step back, into the wall. When he saw Lucifer's face start to turn a bright red. He was about to lose it. 'Why the hell did you hand her over to the angels than!' his voice boomed, shaking the cabin. Gabe saw Lilith had jumped at Lucifer's display at rage. It was obvious she didn't really know the man. If she did she would have never kept his daughter from him, and traded her to the angels.

'I didn't have a choice. The council, and Lilith made me give her up.' He could feel his throat close in, he would not cry in front of them. 'I tried to convince them not to do it. She didn't deserve to be handed over to the angels. She was an innocent in all this.' He looked in Lucifer's eyes feeling his own anger rise. 'She didn't even know what she was until I met her.' He lowered his eyes. 'There is something special about her, and not because she is a Manah.' He shook his head. 'She was the reason we found you, and how do we repay her? By handing her over to the angels to be killed.'

'You like her.' He said sounding thoughtful. Gabe felt an itch in his mind, and knew Lucifer was entering his mind. To read his memories. He was the most powerful demon. This power was one of many that he had. Gabe saw all his memories to do with Maddison play in his mind, then his arguments with the demon council, and Lilith.' The older demons knew how to block Lucifer from their minds. Gabe didn't bother learning how. He didn't have anything to hide from him. Gabe secretly thought that if Lucifer wanted into any of the block minds he would be able to get access, he just allowed the older demons the illusion of privacy.

'You're right, I can.' Lucifer said answering Gabe's thoughts. He sounded preoccupied as he finished off scanning Gabe's memories. 'Maddison.' He said, sounding wistful. 'You're right there is something special about her.' The intrusion in his mind stopped, Lucifer stood staring at Gabe. He stared for so long that Gabe started to feel uncomfortable. Than Lucifer burst out laughing. 'Well I never thought I would see the day, that you would meet a girl that would win you over.'