Chapter Six

The next morning Maddison was back in her office, sitting at her desk. She finished checking her phone messages and was now preparing herself for the phone call she needed to make to Ms Angel.

After she had returned home from Gabe's club the night before. Maddison knew it was too late to contact Ms Angel, deciding to leave it until the next morning she had curled up in her bed, she replayed everything that Gabe had said to her. She wasn't sure if she actually believed everything he had said. But he had known a lot of stuff about her that she had not told another living soul. She didn't know if she should be worried about Angels bursting through her apartment door wanting to kill her, or if Gabe had made that up. She had laid there for most of the night replaying everything until she eventually fell asleep.

Now that it was morning and she was at her desk she wasn't as sure about the phone call she was about to make. If she the mysterious Ms Angel were really an angel and didn't know what Maddison was then it would be better to distance herself from the women. If she does know what she is, then what was stopping her from killing her? She wasn't sure if she was willing to be put her life at risk just for curiosity sake. The aroma of her coffee that sat untouched in its cup on her desk called to her. Picking it up Maddison took a large sip savouring the flavour before swallowing it. It had been sitting there a while so it had cooled so it was just warm but she still enjoyed it as though it were freshly made.

Knowing she was stalling she sat the cup down and picked up the receiver of her phone. She had just started punching the numbers in when the bell above the front door jingled. Feeling relieved that she wasn't making the call she jumped up from her seat and walked out of her office door beaming, the smile dropping instantly when she saw who it was.

'Charles,' she whispered

He gave her a quizzical look as he placed the parcel down on the reception desk. 'Do I know you?' he asked.

Refusing to allow herself to fall under the trap of her past she put her hand on hip, and glared at him. 'Why are you here?'

He took a step back from her, looking at her as if she had lost her mind.'I...I deliver parcels, that's my job.'

Rolling her eyes at what was sure to be some prank, she drew in a large breath in an attempt to calm her racing heart before walking over to him. 'Do I need to sign for that?'

'Yeah...I mean yes,' he said handing over the small electronic device that had a tiny plastic pen attached to it. She handed it back to him once she had sign her name and waiting for him to start in on her. He was acting peculiar but having endure enough of her old classmate's pranks she knew this was just another game of his.

'You have a nice day now,' he said with a smile before walking out the door.'

Paralysed she waited for him to come back through the door and laugh at her, the reception room was so quite she could hear her old white clock that hung on her office wall ticking the seconds away. When it became apparent that he wasn't coming back she found herself stumbling back to her office, slumping in her chair with a frown on her face she didn't know what they hell had happened. She should be use to his games by now, and this surely some trick he had thought up that was going to hit her in the rear later on. She cursed at herself, remembering her plan to get inside his mind making him forget all about her. He had well and truly thrown her off her game by the way he had acted. Next time she promised herself. She just hoped it wouldn't be too late.

Picking up the receiver of her phone she dialled the number Ms Angel had given her.

'Hello.'

'Good morning I was wondering if I could speak with Ms Angel.'