Chapter Fourteen

Maddison hovered in the air not sure what to do. She knew she would have to land. He would have questions for her. A part of her wanted to just fly away so she didn't have face the truth that after this he won't want anything to do with her. Her heart rate hadn't slowed any from the chase, in fact it seemed to be beating even faster. Hating that she was being a cowered she stopped flapping her wings and allowed herself to descend. The looks she could see cross his face told her he was going to be like everyone else. He was now thinking she was a freak. Touching the ground, she scanned the trees making sure the panther wasn't lying in wait for her. The birds were no longer chirping even the trees were still.

"What are you?' Tony asked taking a step back

'I'm me.'

Shaking his head 'No, I mean what are you?'

'I'm part angel, part demon,' she mumbled

He stumbled back slamming into a tree 'Demon?' He breathed out a laugh. 'That's just great, I finally meet a woman I like and she's a demon.'

She refused to show him how much those words really hurt. 'Tony calm down you're going to hurt yourself'

"Calm down? You sprout wings and I need to calm down?' he said shaking his head.

She threw her hands in the air 'Yes!'

'Well I'm sorry if I am a little shocked right now!'

'It's still me Tony. I'm still the same person who you brought here.' She stepped closed to him. 'I haven't change.' She whispered softly.

'You have wings Maddison!' he looked behind her 'Why is one black?'

Ignoring his question and resisting pulling her wings back into her body she looked him in the eye and wanted to cry. He was no longer looking at her the way he did earlier. Gone was the look of adoration. She couldn't see his attraction for her or even any sign that he cared. He looked at her like she was a total stranger. Someone who disgusted him. She refused to allow the tears in her eyes to fall. She could easily nudge his mind making him forget but she needed to know the truth even if it will hurt. Will he love her for who she is or hate her. 'I didn't want you to find out like this.' She looked away from him. 'I didn't think I had much of a choice.' 'I thought I was being chased by an animal.'

'Well you weren't.'

'What happened to you Tony? You just vanished.'

'I didn't just vanish.' He started to pace in front of her 'And this isn't about me.'

'Well where were you?'

'I was fighting the wolf!'

'No, a panther was fighting....' she looked at his naked appearance and felt like an idiot. "Of course. That's why you took off your clothes.' She wasn't the only one who wasn't human. 'You're a shifter.'

'This has turned into one giant mess. 'He turned his back to her. 'I need to find my clothes.'

'That's it?'

He turned and glared at her. 'Would you rather I be naked?'

'You're running away.'

'I'm getting my clothes!'

'Do you...do you want me to come with you?'

He shook his head 'No I think it's best if I go alone.'

She sucked in a breath from the sharp pain his words had caused. 'I see.' She crossed her arms over her chest suddenly feeling cold. 'I will leave you alone then.' She turned away from him.