Chapter Ten

Things happened fast after that, Gabe stormed out of the warehouse, too his car. Maddison had to run to catch up with him worried that he wouldn't wait and take off without her. When she got in the car, he had his phone to his ear barking out orders rapidly. She had questions about what she had seen, and she didn't think he would give her a chance to answer them. It wasn't until he was pulling up at her office that he finally got off his phone.

'So what happens now?' she asked him.

'Now' Gabe said his voice rough with emotions. 'I go and get my ruler back.'

Maddison slowly nodded. 'Is there anything I can do to help?'

'No.' he said shaking his head. 'We have it covered.'

Maddison realised this was probably the last time she would see Gabe; her job was now complete. She didn't know how she felt about that. She thought she would be relieved to have it done. 'Those chains that they used on Lucifer. They weren't normal chains.' She thought about the way they sparked. 'What are they?'

'They are something that would have no effect on you, so I wouldn't worry about them.' She frowned at his answer, which wasn't really one. 'Look I need to go, there is a lot that needs to be organised for the rescue mission. I don't have time.' His words hurt, which made her feel stupid. Of course he was in a rush. She nodded her head at him, opening his car door she climbed out. She heard him sigh loudly. 'Maddison?'

She turned back, holding the car door with her left hand. 'Yeah?'

He rubbed his hand across the brow on his head. 'Nothing, just... take care of yourself.'

'Will do.' She said shutting the door, she turned and what felt like the hundredth time that night she walked down the alleyway to her apartment. Not looking back at Gabe who still sat idled on the side of the road. Feeling drained Maddison managed to make it to her apartment, without bothering to change she crawled into bed and went to sleep.

The next day Maddison managed to make it into her office on time. She had only been sitting at her desk for ten minutes when the bell on the door jingled. She walked out of her office to the reception area to find a delivery man standing there holding a large bouquet of flowers. Her heart fluttered at the sight of them. They were beautiful. But who would send her flowers? Tony's name popped into her head, and she had to repress the smile that wanted to shine on her face.

'Ms Banks?' the delivery guy asked

'Yes, that's me.'

'These are for you.' He said handing her the flowers, she could smell the different aromas and couldn't believe that Tony would send her flowers. She thought the date had been a bust, and that he only asked her to still go to his cabin because he is a nice guy and didn't want to take back the invitation. But to go and send her flowers that would mean that he really did want to see her. 'If you could sign here.' The delivery man held out a device for her to sign her signature on. The man left as soon as she signed. She sat the flowers on the receptionist desk, and plucked out the small white card that was peeking out of its side. She opened it smiling, and read what was written, and frowned.

Sweetest dreams, of sweetest nights.

I have you now within my sights.

Your luscious lips, and coloured hair.

I want to see you naked and bare.

I plan to touch your parts unseen,

The night I take you as my Queen.

Hand in Hand, side by side.

I cannot wait for you to be my bride.

A.