No one made a sound. I wanted to help him, but dad gave me a look that kept me where I was. The knocking turned to pounding before it stopped. It was silent for three seconds. Glass shattered, a sickly green hand reaching through the barred window. Greg took out his machete, walking over and slicing the hand clean off the zombie's wrist.

A strangled yell erupted from behind the barred window, as if the zombie still had its last few shreds of humanity inside. I know it didn't actually have any humanity, it was just a trick - an illusion.

It still didn't stop the heavy feeling in my chest though.

~.~.~.

When morning arrived, our surroundings were bright from the sun filtering through the broken windows. The smell of decay lingered in the air like a dense fog, and it was deathly quiet as if no one had ever been here before. I was the first to wake up, minus Greg who never went to sleep last night; I could tell by his red eyes and pale face. Looking through the window which the zombie from last night smashed, I saw that the gates were open and heavily guarded by men in uniform and armed with weapons I had never seen before.

"Greg," I stage-whispered to him. He jolted, finally alert from his half-asleep state. "The gates are open."