Chapter 3

Serena gripped the metal bar, heaving. Her lungs felt as if they were going to be crumpled inside her body. She looked behind her and tried to steady her breathing, pressing a hand to her chest. A rapid, flutter-like heartbeat was felt on her palm.

Standing straighter, she looked out at the river lazily moving past, separating the two feuding cities, Lostrona and Felport. Ripples hit the top when fish dared to come close enough to the surface, usually wary of birds preying for their next meal.

Serena heard someone yell behind her, and she spun around to see Stella, followed by Ian, and then a security guard who looked extremely annoyed.

Stella put her hands on her knees, face blotchy from the lack of air. "What the hell, Serena," she wheezed, trying to gain her breath back. "You just ran out of the fucking room, and then caused a panic among the members."

Serena tried to think of an excuse, but she had no excuse to give. The only funny thing was the fact that Stella came racing after her, especially how she treated her. She lowered her eyes to the pavement below, unmoving.

"It's not fair," Serena said, her voice sounding like a child's tone.

"What's not fair?" Stella asked, stepping towards Serena. She reached out a hand but drew it back when Serena shied away from her gesture.

Ian shook his head, rubbing his temples at Serena's whiny answer. Serena noticed and turned back around, going back to watching the sun sink lower behind the buildings. "Nothing, never mind," Serena said bitterly, wanting them to leave her.

Stella scraped the pavement with a shoe, unsure of what to do with Ian's sister. "Serena. Please, tell me what's wrong. I understand that I was acting like someone who didn't trust you but...with the upcoming war I was afraid," admitted Stella's voice in her head, hoping that Serena would respond.

Serena listened to Stella and gripped the metal bar, kicking pebbles into the river. Should she even tell her? She was right, she didn't trust her or Jasper. Now she claims she does? Serena, intent on telling the Air Element leader to get out of her head, she started to reply, "Stella, listen. I'm jealous of Jasper, okay? You guys just want to use me for some grand scheme. You don't really want my help."

"You're...jealous? What of? I need you to trust me, Serena. We're not using you for something and then just dropping you off on the side of the street. We need your help because we just know it's you who needs to be there." Stella felt Ian glare at her, and she ignored his glare. She needed to get through to Serena.

"Why should I trust you? You didn't trust me, or Jasper, remember?" Serena shot back at Stella, and ended the connection, tired of talking to Stella. She wants me to trust her, when she couldn't even trust me before? I doubt it. Serena thought, crossing her arms.

"Stella, if you're done talking to my sister, go back to the building. Now. I need to talk to her privately," Ian spoke through gritted teeth.

"Ian, I was just trying to help--"

"Frankly, I don't give a damn. Get back to the hall and get Jasmine to explain to you what's going on. We'll talk later," Ian snapped. Stella's small eyes hardened at his tone and spun around on her heel, taking the guard with her.

Serena watched Stella leave, and her eyes slid over to Ian, who was brushing himself off before meeting her eyes. She dropped the stare, shifting uncomfortably. "What?"

"Serena. You have to help Jasper. I beg of you, as an Elemental Six leader and as a brother," Ian started, watching his sister closely.

"Why? I don't care about Esrar," Serena said, feeling the lie spread through her. Of course she cared about Esrar, it was her homeland. "I don't care. I just want to garden back on Earth. Leave me alone. I didn't want any of this," she said, voice shaky. That part was true, she just wanted to garden.