Chapter 14 - prision life.

A time in my life its no fun and games some days can be easier than others, but for me all i wanted was get this over with. My daily routine which never really changed only when someone kicked off are they would start fighting, fires and that. I was told of one of the officers not to 'feel you have to give someone something (cereal, whatever) just because they ask - they will try it on with you but they are used to being told no, just do it nicely.' Am asked if i want an newspaper subscription which i opted for, she told me 'it will be best as it will help you feel more sane, as the first few weeks your head will be in a spin it's easier to read a newspaper than books.

Morning.....

8.15 am - Cells get unlocked and i can possibly go out for exercise if you want to.

8.45 am - Going to work, education or your offending behaviour course that's if i have any of these, or visit if you have visitors. Otherwise, i get locked up again.

11.45 am - I go back to wings and unlock - i collect my dinner and tomorrow's breakfast of milk and cereal to take back to my cell.

Dinner....

12.15 pm - Lock-up (this gives the prison officers a chance to go and eat).

1.45 pm - Daytime activities is the same as in the morning.

Tea....

4.45 pm - Back to the wings and unlock - i collect my tea and take it back to my cell.

5.15.pm - Lock-up.

Evening/night....

6 pm - Unlock for association (i get a chance to socialise, play table tennis or pool, get to have a shower, use the phone to call Jack and my parents, take a problem to the officers, visit the library when it's open (usually each wing has a particular day per week you can go), whatever. Some prisoners used to get help for illiterate prisoners in writing letters, so this is the perfect time for that).

7.45 pm - Lock-up for the night.

On Fridays there is usually no work in the afternoons so those will be free for association too (also handy for the Muslims who can go to Friday prayers in the afternoon). At the weekends, it's pretty much association all day with an earlier lock-up for the night. For me, this included an hour's exercise at 2 pm. It's no longer compulsory, and nor is walking round the exercise yard in circles, but walking round in circles chatting is still the best way to make use of my time outside and stopping myself turning into a couch potato. Or even better, jog round.

It's all very dull and boring and all i WANT to do is work just so i have something to do, as well as earn myself a small wage to be able to buy things from the canteen (the weekly "mail order" shop), such as snacks, toiletries, paper and stamps - i can write one free letter a week which first was to Jack asking for him to visit me, but if i want to write more, i have got to buy my own stationery and stamps. If i like coffee, again i have got to buy it from the canteen. The trouble is that there often aren't enough jobs available so all you've got is the minimum unemployed prisoner's £2.50 a week, plus money relatives or friends can send into me. This is rationed so nobody can be particularly well off than others. There are at least TVs in the cells now, so this passes the time, but i have to rent it for £1 per set per week (so it's 50p each if am sharing) - just so the taxpayer isn't paying for it.

Now this is more or less what am doing and i have to do this day in day out for 10 years most days i feel like going insane and wanting to kill myself, but i keep think of my family and my main man Jack who i miss so much that my heart hurts when i think of him. But i hope to get to see him very soon, but i have never disclosed that i am gay to anyone i have kept this to myself which i told Jack not to say anything or act like we are a couple as i will get my head kicked in, yes i would fight back but i just want to do my time and then get out of here to live my days out with Jack and my family. Now it time for me to get settled for the night.