18

The Duchess of Gosling exclaimed a high "Oh!"

Well, not so high, as she had a remarkably low voice for a woman.

For a moment I stood there, transfixed by her blue-grey eyes. After a second I ran, but a guard had practically caught me already. That stupid dress hindered me from doing anything quickly. The guard forced my arms behind my back.

Don't fight them. No normal girl would. Remember who you are supposed to be. The first thing you did wrong was run. No, actually, leaving the inn. Make it up. Don't get into trouble, and leave as fast as possible.

I looked up to see Sabrina standing in the little crowd that had gathered. She gave me a meaningful look. My head was pushed down so I could be shoved into a carriage. The guard – in blue and silver, the Gosling colours – seated himself next to me on the cobalt cushions. The Duchess joined us, breathing heavily. I doubted she could sit a horse. Since I'd last visited Goose Town she'd gained about five or six kilos. And she had never been a slim woman.

I prayed she wouldn't recognise me.

"M'lady, me biggest apologies. I didn't know her Ladyship was there, and then I got such a shock! Really, I be meanin' nothin' of it all. Me big–"

"Oh, yes yes, that is alright. Just a bit clumsy. You are from out of town, are you not?"

I nodded

"Then you could not have known that I pray often. I keep the gods close."

Of course I knew that. I had to know a lot as a princess.

"Now you are wondering why I took you with me, are you not? Well, you remind me of a certain girl I know."

Shit.

Of course.

She'd last seen me on my birthday. Only three moons ago. She knew quite well what I looked like.

"But, after giving you a good look, it can not be."

I tried not to exhale rather obviously.

"Still, I am not just going to dump you on the street. I have better manners than that. And this is a wonderful opportunity to connect with the common folk. That is why I am inviting you to join luncheon at Gander Castle." She paused, so I seized the opportunity.

"M'lady, the honours are too great! No girl like me deserves this. I don't have a thin' to wear! I plead ye to let me go!"

She shook her head. "I understand, it must be unnerving for a young girl to be in the company of great names. But there is no need to be worried. I will clothe you properly, and tell you about our manners. It will be fun! And what a tale you will have to tell!"

In my anxiety I hadn't noticed that the carriage was moving, but now it stopped with a jolt. I heard the Duchess mutter "When will he get it right" under her breath. The carriage went on a bit, then stopped again. Some guy opened the door and held his hand out to help us.

I ignored it.

The courtyard was just like I remembered it. Many little stones paved the awkward trapezium, and if you looked closely you could see it was a mosaic of a goose with wide-spread wings. We had come through a low arch; the third gate. Above it soldiers were patrolling the battlements, in a lazy manner. Before us loomed the donjon: a large stone pentagon built in an unusual way; it looked as if a giant had gripped the straight tower and twisted his wrist, making the points spiral up. The blueish, pointed roof was twisted too, with a silver-coloured knob on the top. Small windows were spread evenly, indicating seven floors. We stood in front of a massive wooden door, strengthened with iron bands. It was open now, but at night and in times of war the many hinges did their job to swing it shut. The stone wall around the courtyard was shaped like a pentagon as well, with small round towers at every point. From there stone corridors with embrasures found their way to the donjon, atop a row of arches. They divided the courtyard into five trapeziums.