Chapter 32: Reiko's Chapter

It didn't work.

It should've worked.

I stayed up three nights in a row to find a method with a plausible outcome of Honeys souls being mine, but it didn't work.

My curse had failed.

The three nights spent working was all for no result.

The stupid curse had failed.

In fact, it seemed to have done more than just failed- they were looking at each other with eyes I had only ever seen lovers look at each other with. Yet, neither of them knew, because they were too busy being blubbering, awkward idiots and not even speaking to each other.

When he was looking at her, she never saw.

When she was looking at him, he never saw.

And it was starting to get on my nerves.

If she truly wanted his soul, she was succeeding in the act, yet didn't even seem to know it.

The other Hosts seemed to have noticed as well- especially the twins. They kept on trying to coax them together in ways that made it oblivious to the two, yet managed to fail anyway.

And all in all, the entire situation was getting on my nerves.

I was here, staying up three nights in a row for this third-year when she didn't seem to be doing anything.

I was putting in so much more effort.

Yet it bore no fruit.

Why didn't my method work?

What did I do wrong?

What was I doing wrong?

~Lunchtime~

I may as well just give up, if I can't have him.

I walked into the Black Magic Club and for the first time since I joined the club, the dark, elegant decor didn't make me feel any bit in the slightest better. In fact, it only seemed to be a reminder in how badly my curse had failed.

Nekozawa stood by the dark window, staring blankly at nothing in particular as other members stood around a bubbling cauldron, murmuring incoherent chants toward the strange liquid. The eerie noises this room was producing put some of my anger at ease, if only for a few moments.

This was were I belonged, whether I liked it or not. Whether I had his soul or not, these were my friends.

The thought didn't seem to bring any happiness- only the numb, hallowing feeling of realising his soul may not be mine to steal.

"Ah, Reiko... Did your curse bear desirable results?" Nekozawa's eyes flitted to me from across the room and for a single moment I forgot that I had actually told the club about my plan. The other members looked up from the cauldron, not stopping the eerily calming chanting as they watched me for my reply. I shook my head, facial expression unchanging. His face, half shrouded by his cloak, softened as if he knew what it felt to be unnoticed by someone before it managed to regain its usual sharp and creepy persona. "Well, perhaps you need our help, then?"

Ah, what friends I have.

The chanting stopped and it was in that moment that I realised I'd never be able to have friends any better than this. They accepted me for who I was, for what I was and for what I was interested in- in fact, they loved me for it.

And so, it was only to be expected that they want to help me reach the goal I had worked so hard for.

Underneath the darkness of the room I had become so familiar with, the Black Magic Club's members failed to see the smile I had unintentionally conjured up.