The Boy and the Titan Shifter

A/N~soooo basically I wrote this before chapter 82 and that's because I wanted to write a vague (I say vague because I haven't been at all caught up with the manga or seen the anime in two years 0-0) oneshot in canonverse that centered around their relationship and the fear of loss and stuff like that. As you all know, chapter 82 changed that up a bit, but since I liked what I wrote so much, I decided to keep this and finish it anyway. It's not often I appreciate my own writing like this :s so although this is a sensitive topic, or at least that's what I imagine, as it was and still is for me, I still wanted to continue writing this. Sorry for the long explanation, and please enjoy! :)

The Boy and the Titan Shifter

"Are you scared of the dark, Armin?"

"Kind of, yeah, but only when you're not around."

With Eren beside him, Armin felt like he could do anything. Despite his physical weakness and emotional sensitivity, the dark-haired boy always empowered him. Eren was his protector. The one who guided him and held him close.

And then Eren was injured.

Suddenly, reality set in. Armin realized that Eren was not invincible. His existence was not infinite.

Armin's entire being was soaked to the core with anxiety. His stomach churned violently. He couldn't bear to look at food. Despite the underlying gnawing feeling that Eren and Mikasa would worry about him, he remained seated on his bunk, fingers clenched, gripping the sides, knuckles milky white.

"Aren't you going to eat?"

Armin's head snapped up at the gravelly tones of the brunette's voice. Instead of his usual lopsided smile, concern decorated his features, leaving room for nothing else.

"I-I'm fine," Armin managed in a meek whisper, despite the tears threatening to spill at any moment, weighing down his eyelids. "I'm just...not very hungry."

Unconvinced, Eren approached the spot where Armin resided, draping a gentle arm around the blonde's shoulders.

"Are you sure?" He cared so much, too much. Armin bowed his head, refusing to allow Eren to see him cry.

"Yeah..." The smaller took a shuddering breath in, catching a tear with his finger before it could fall any further.

"Armin...look at me," Eren said softly. Unable to deny him this request, Armin directed his gaze to the brunette, trying to avoid making contact with his turquoise eyes and yet failing still.

Eren said nothing upon noticing the tears. The right words never did flow easily for him. Instead, he took Armin's face in careful, calloused hands, swiping a stray tear away, before leaning in, capturing the other boy's lips in a kiss.

Their kisses were graceless, and rushed, and clumsy, and desperate. This one was an exception, as it was unhurried, and gentle, and reassuring. Armin's inhibitions immediately disappeared; he felt as if he could drown in Eren, even as the whole world fell apart around them.

It ended, however, leaving Armin vulnerable again, utterly exposed to the cruelty of reality.

"I'm scared," he murmured.

Eren's eyes fluttered closed as he wove their fingers together easily.

"I'm scared too."