Chapter 2 - I must know

-3rd Person-

Henry adjourned the meeting with council.

"Charles, please stay." Charles nodded and the doors closed as the room was dropped into silence."

"Charles, I know that your niece has only returned for a few months. She has been out of your company for a number of years. But please tell me everything about her." Charles raised an eyebrow.

"Has my niece caught your majesty's eye?"  This made him feel uncomfortable, he did not mind calling women for his King or agreeing upon his choice of woman. But this situation was clearly different as it was his own niece.

"Is there anything specific?" Henry sat forward.

"The Lady Charlotte has shown herself to be loyal, and it will not waver for anyone if it against what she stands for. Now i suspect that she has learnt this from growing up in court and lady to the Queen of France. But i wish to know more about her."

"With all due respect you majesty, I myself am still learning. She is not the five year old she once was. She carries herself with pride and grace. She is loyal and would do almost anything if it does not go against everything that she believes and prides herself on. I fear that if you are looking to her as a mistress, she would outright decline, gracefully. "

"I know all that, she made it clear when she decline my invitation.  What does she like what makes her smile." Charles was shocked by such a question. Henry never asked for advice on women if anything he was sure what they wanted.

"Does his majesty find my niece to be a puzzle?"

"Very much so. Lady Charlotte is an enigma. Faithful, but stubborn. Virtuous, but guarded."

"But what of her majesty. Is your love for her fading?" That was a very good question. Henry had to admit their relationship had lost that flare it once had.  She had yet to bare a son, not that he did not love his Elizabeth. Yet he still loved her or what he thought as love. Very much so, yet Charlotte was plaguing his thoughts he wanted to know anything and everything about her. He felt something when they danced and looked each other in the eyes. However he couldn't place it, all he knew was his wives never ignited such feeling.

"No, Charles. But you as my friend I feel the need to tell you that I am feeling something I have never felt. I would like to talk with her again, however she has made it clear she will not be in my presence alone. Which is why as ask you to accompany us...from afar."

"Yes, your majesty."

"Good, i will see you out in the gardens." Charles went to retrieve his niece and his wife.

-Charlotte-

"Lottie" I looked up from my needle work

"The King  wishes to take a walk with you in the gardens" I went to protest. "Worry not, Catherine and I will walk behind you. You shall be in the company of others." I sighed, he was persistent, yet I could find no harm in a simple walk with others close by.

"Very well." I was escorted outside and saw the King, I curtsied

"Your majesty."

"Lady Charlotte. Won't you join me in a walk....with the company of your Aunt and Uncle, of course." I nodded hesitantly.

"I wanted to talk to you more, know more about you.  You spoke of morals that you abide by, tell me more."

"Well, like i said last evening. For wives to feel a little more secure I would never be seen alone with a married man. If it's in there company or someone trusted then i see no harm. It is a part of life to be around those who are married. I do not wish to be seen as a threat."

"That is most admirable. What about those of mistresses?"

"It is inevitable that a man no matter if they love their wife or not will take a mistress. I myself have no desire to become one. But , the way I see it. If I am married I will please my husband, if I am with child then for the sake of health of the two of us  I will take a brief hiatus till I am healed after the birth. I have no quarrel if my husband for that brief period of time were to lie with someone else as long as that's all it is."

"Meaning"

"There is nothing more than letting your sexual frustrations out. As wife, I will take care of everything else. If my husband were to court a mistress or take one when I of good health and not with child. I would see that adultery and unforgivable. I base everything on love, loyalty and trust. Without that relationships are doomed to fail."

"You are very wise for your years."

"I simply cannot stand seeing people in unhappy relationships or being in one. I might as well die."

"Lady Charlotte, what do you like to do away from court." This caught me, I wondered why he was so interested.

"Well, I like to read, play music and dance. I love to learn new dances. Sewing although I am not very good. Infact come to think if it I'm terrible. " he laughed

"What about jewels, any favourites?"

"I wouldn't say it's a jewel but there rock which i find most beautiful, if I am to be honest with you, Your Majesty. It's called lapis Lazuli, I have found myself most taken with it." I smiled

"I hope you do not see me as too inquisitive but apart from what you told me earlier, what are your thoughts on marriage? I would like to hear it from a outside woman's prospective."

"My thoughts are not like anyone else's." I laughed "If anyone heard me they would call me mad and say I had my head in the clouds."

"I would very much like to hear them."

"Very well, but i do warn your majesty. My views are very different."

"I swear."

"I believe that people should marry for love. Because I think if there is love. Loyalty and trust then God will smile down with happiness and grant a loving couples deepest desires. Love will always be there whether it is from a commoner  to even a King. I hope to experience love, yet in this day and age I think i might be married before would know what it feels like. If there is an arranged marriage it will usually start out with both parties dislike each other and blame one another for their fortune. Some women are lucky and they have a loving husband others are not. But there is nothing that can change because no matter what anyone will try to do. There will always be someone out there suffering." I looked at his majesty who had a look of adoration or admiration oozing from him.

"Very well said." I started to shiver.

"Perhaps we should go inside" I nodded and the four of us left the now cold garden.

qwT6\<