2

Chelsea left the mountain in a swift run. The aura her uncle was emitting did not seem friendly, and she had learned to avoid him in such a state the hard way. Hence the fact that she had broken her ribs twice while approaching him in such a condition. When she was only ten, too. That was also the year she perfected a healing technique for such situations. Balance. It was the key to being prepared for almost anything and everything.

She stopped halfway down the mountainside. How she regretted leaving Totoro up there with her uncle. Totoro's companionship would be most welcome right now. She sighed before continuing. It was too late, and her pet would most likely be unwelcome where she was headed.

She reached the bottom of the mountain in a little under two hours. The endurance for physical exhaustion and pain she had developed training she couldn't be happier to have at times like these. It would only slow her down if she had to stop.

Another hour passed and she found herself in the city she used to glimpse up on the mountain. Startree City was known for its unobstructed view of the sky at night. She walked in, admiring everything around her. It was her first time in years around people without her uncle, anyway.

She made her way around the city, using her knowledge of human customs her uncle had taught her about and information from her reading to communicate with people there. She managed to get her hands on some money and bought herself a black shirt, skirt, socks, and shoes to wear. People were prone to being manipulated for things sometimes. Just like the animals she met in the forest.

She strolled around town a little bit more before stopping for lunch.

She sat down with her food in the little noodle house, eating expertly with chopsticks. Nearby, a blonde boy sat eating the same dish she did. She smiled, then looked away as soon as he turned towards her. Better he not know she was staring just a moment ago. She finished her food and stood up to resume her quest.

While she continued to walk through the city she had a sudden thought. There was one place she could start on her quest. Her uncle had told her about it a couple of years ago - the Hunter Exam. It was a place where all kinds of people gathered to become hunters, which was a very important occupation in the world. She sighed. Problem was, she didn't know where it would take place this year.

Turning around, she glimpsed the blonde boy again. She had a sudden desire to ask him, but whether anything he told her would be helpful or not was uncertain. She still had that feeling of certainty though.

Gathering her courage, she approached him just as he was about to go out of sight.

"Umm, excuse me, sir." He looked up and she smiled. "I was wondering if you happen to know where the Hunter Exam is this year." She looked away awkwardly as his black eyes landed on her. Wait for it-

"What is your purpose of knowing?" Chelsea sighed. You could never be too cautious, but it wouldn't hurt to tell him, would it?

"Well, I just happen to be going there myself, and I have no one else to help me." She gazed intently into his dark eyes now, seeing how he gradually gave in, believing her.

"Neither do I." His answer surprised Chelsea.

"How about we journey on together until I can find my way to the Hunter Exam?" she asked him, extending a hand. "I'm Chelsea. I grew up without much family, so I understand what that feels like."

The boy seemed to open up. "I'm Kurapika. It's nice to meet you, Chelsea. I'm going to become a Hunter too, so let's travel together." For the first time, Chelsea saw him smile as he shook her hand.