Chapter 8

“Erwin, Katrina disappeared.” Levi stood in front of the Commanders desk, catching him off guard. Standing, his eyes narrowed. “My squad said they saw her take her horse and go. She hasn’t come back yet.”

Throwing his cloak on, Erwin started to leave. “We have to go find her.”

“I understand you are worried, but calm down.”

“How can I?!” Erwin snapped, turning towards him.

Levi stood his ground, expression unwavering and head held high. “What did you say to her? Last I saw her, she was crying and told me to leave her alone.”

“What I said to her is none of your business. My whole relationship with her is none of your business. Unless you are unable to understand the privacy of other people, then I’d be more than happy to tell you everything.” Erwin stepped towards him, glaring. “Know your place, Corporal.” With that, he turned and left again, only to have Levi follow behind him. They each were determined to find her, and quickly.

Of course she could fight, but Levi’s team said she didn’t have her gear, so the only thing she could do was run. He hoped she had ran away if she came into contact with anything. They saddled up on their horses and Erwin started ordering them. Eren had an angry expression and he was biting his lip roughly.

“Eren, calm down before you transform. We’ll find her.” Erd patted his shoulder, but he looked just as nervous.

“If anything happened to her, I’ll kill everything in sight.”

Erwin shut him up with a look and began riding as fast as his horse could go. The others followed behind them and went straight for the forest. Everything seemed wrong, and the whole group could feel it too.

A painful, heart wrenching scream rang out into the air and they all froze, a sharp tug on the reins and spooked horses. “Katrina!” Erwin yelled at the top of his lungs, snapping the leather and kicking his horse. His called shook all of them from their daze and raced after him.

As they entered the forest, there was only silence, not a sound to inform that the she was alive, breathing. All hearts stop as soon as they rode into an area with a titan standing in front of them, and a figure dangling in its grip. Before either of them could do anything about it, its mouth closed around her, dismembering a leg.

“Katrina.” Levi pulled the swords out and grappled into the trees, at the same time as Erwin. He swung around the trees, but the Commander was quicker, slicing the nape of the titan’s neck. He had to move quickly now, or he was going to lose her forever. Levi spun and sliced from the throat down to its stomach, everyone else doing the same.

Finally, the skin split wide open and he started hacking away, trying to find any sign of her. Erwin hurried over, tearing it apart with just his hands. “Erwin, what are you doing?!” Petra yelled, and Eren tried to pull him away.

“I have to get her out. She isn’t dead. She isn’t! She’s not dead! She isn’t dead! Katrina! Katrina!” He grabbed in again, and he stopped yelling, feeling. Standing up, he pulled away, and he was holding onto a hand. Levi instinctively moved forward and helped him, taking the arm and tugging.

She surfaced and was immediately taken into Erwin’s arms, which wrapped protectively around her. Levi fell back onto the ground, staring at her lifeless form. Her head just leaned back and her eyes were closed, and she was covered in blood. Eren started crying, dropping to his knees and shaking. Petra covered her face, not wanting to look.

Erwin placed his hand against her chest, hoping. He replaced his hand with his ear, moving down to make sure. He seemed a little too hopeful, but then his eyes lit up and he let out the breath he was holding. “Katrina, stay with me.” He tapped her cheek, shaking her.

“It’s no use. She’s gone.” Auruo whispered, turning away.

Erwin picked her up, shaking her again. “No, her heart’s beating. She’s alive.” He started carrying her to his horse when he slowed his stops.

“Corporal,” Gunther murmured. “Her leg.”

Clutching her thighs, the Commander looked down to see her leg wasn’t missing. The cloth of her pants was torn and her leg was bare. The others stepped back, not believing what they were seeing. Eren looked up, shaking his head. “There’s no way.”

“Just like Eren.”

------

Hanji leaned over the girl’s body, beaming. “Let me do little experiments, while she’s still unconscious.” She started touching her, pulling at her limps and letting go, watching them fall.

Levi stepped forward and glared, pulling the woman back. Erwin had to go back, but he chose to stay instead. “Stop. It’s better that we keep her in the condition she’s in. We don’t know anything yet.” The Corporal leaned against the bed, staring down at her.

“You don’t think she’s a shifter, do you?” Hanji grew serious again, sitting down in a chair.

Erwin stood up and started pacing the room. He looked as though he was up all night, blinking away the sleep he needs. “There’s no way that’s possible. I’ve been with her since she was a child. There must be something we are missing, or overlooking. We need more time to look into this.” Ignoring the others, he crawled under the covers and hugged her close to him.

Levi was going to say something but Hanji placed a hand on his shoulder. “Leave him. He almost lost the most important person to him. Let’s go, you need to get some rest.” He walked away with her, but looked back at the two on the bed. Katrina still looked as though she was just a doll, still and empty.

"When do you think she'll wake up?" The door closed and he leaned against it. 

Hanji turned, her eyes looking everywhere but at him. "Tomorrow, maybe a couple days. There's no way for me to be able to tell." She crossed her arms and sighed. "I'm in need of a drink, do you want one?"

He shook his head and left down the hallway. He just wanted to be alone for a while and think about what he was going to do.