Chapter 1

Destruction was the only fault she knew. It was the only crime in her life, leaving her a shattered soul without care. Hearts never touched her surface, her empty chest never knowing the love and care of another. Alone. It was the only security in the forsaken world of her pitiful life. 

A tall man stood in front of her as she cowered on the ground, surrounded by others with blood stained blades. His bright blue orbs gazed down at her with such care and pity, that she wasn’t sure to hate him or cry in his arms. All she could do was stare into his eyes as they seduced her into being transfixed to him.

He held out his hand, breaking the connection between them and she blinked, looking to the comfort that was calling to her. All her fears diminished and her heart sped up. Tears springing to her eyes, she stood and wrapped her arms around his torso, muffling her cries of sorrow and longing into his uniform. His arms held her gently and he cooed softly into her ear.

She almost forgot the dozen of bodies that had surrounded her. The blood and smell that had tormented her before he arrived. It was as if all the pain was washed away by just this strange man who appeared to her line of vision. 

“It’s okay now, little one. I’m here, there’s no need to be afraid.” His deep but soothing voice made her heart beat just a little faster and she tightened her embrace on him. A voice like a spell, compelling her to do anything it wanted. “My name is Erwin. Would you like to live with me for now on?” Without looking, she just cried harder into his shirt, gripping the fabric between her fingers.

He was willing to give her a life unknown to her, one that was always so far from her reach. 

-

Katrina shot up in her bed and panted, pushing her drenched hair away from her face. A scar on her forehead was the first thing she touched. Holding a hand to her chest, she waited for her breathing to even out before she rested back onto pillow. She couldn’t fall back to sleep; each time her eyes closed, she’d see another nightmare that was unbearable to remember.

Shaking her head, she got up and tied back her damp brown locks of hair. Katrina got into her uniform, and wrapped the green cloak around her, setting out to go meet with the Commander for her job of the day.

The sun still wasn’t so much in the sky, and the area was quiet, as everyone was still sleeping. Ahead, a boy was wondering around, and he was carrying something with him. Narrowing her eyes, she picked up her pace and chased after him, turning a corner and grabbing his arm.

As he faced her, she laughed, letting go. “Eren, where are you going at this time?”

“Ah, Katrina. I’m running an errand for Corporal Levi. Can I ask you the same thing?” Eren grinned and raised an eyebrow at her.

Levi? Ignoring the unfamiliar name, she smiled and nodded to him. “I couldn’t sleep, so I was going to meet the Commander. Would you like some help?”

The boy snorted and smirked. “You seem to be around the Commander a lot, don’t you? Is there something I should know about?” She pouted, but he waved at her and continued before she could protest. “Nah, it’s okay. Corporal Levi would be upset if I had help. I’ll see you later though!”

She smiled and nodded, waving as he hurried away. “Okay, bye!” Katrina went back around and went on her way to find Erwin. Her face burned as she thought of Eren’s words, but pushed them to the back of her mind. She had more important things to worry about.

Sneaking her way inside, she reached Erwin’s office and peeked inside. He was sitting at his desk, looking down and flipping through papers. She silently stepped in and shut the door behind her, knowing he wouldn’t have heard her if he had something on his mind. Crouching in front of his desk, she watched as his eyes moved from left to right. 

Again, she was mesmerized by him, even with him just being composed as he usually is. His blond hair was always pushed to the side, and rarely moved about. Smiling, she almost forgot what she wanted in the first place.

“What are you doing up so early this morning?” His voice shattering the silence startled her, and she fell back, eyes widening. “Couldn’t sleep again?”

Katrina shook her head and pushed her bangs away. “I actually had a dream about when you came to my rescue!” She stood and grinned, leaning towards him. “You were like my knight in shining armor!”

Erwin chuckled and leaned back, crossing his arms. “Is that why you are here, to see me? Or are you looking for something to do?”

He could always tell what she wanted, so she had to question to herself each time, why he would even ask. Sighing, she pursed her lips and looked away. “I am looking for something to do. Not that, I didn’t want to come and see you.” 

Grunting, he stood and nodded, mumbling words to himself. "Really, I'd love it if you stayed home today, but if you really want something to do."

"Yes! I'm ready for anything. Oh please, Erwin. I'm so bored when you aren't home, and Eren is busy now too." She only met a couple of the 104th Trainee squad, but she had seen a lot of the energetic boy and they grew to be friends.

For a moment, he just stared at her. “Alright, I guess I should put you to work. See if you could be of some use to me, fair enough?” His words were a bit harsh, but she nodded, waiting. He was strict about work, even when he was talking to her. Though, at home he never liked talking about what happens during his days. “Go to Corporal Levi and ask him to come back with you. There are some things I need to discuss with him.”

That name again, Levi. Biting at her lip in curiosity, she saluted with her fist of her heart and walked away. This Corporal seemed to be quite popular with everyone, though she knew that in their position, it was important for Erwin to speak with everyone in the Survey Corps. Before leaving the room, she grinned at him. “Thank you, Erwin!”