Chapter 2

A crow called as it flew up ahead, making the chocolate colored horse snort in irritation and huff as he ran. Katrina gripped the reins in one hand and petted the beast to calm him down. She had already entered the other village, and was searching madly with her eyes. Finding the Corporal would be hard, as she had never seen him before.

Someone up ahead caught her attention and she smiled, racing over to meet him. “Eren!” She shouted, stopping her horse and jumping down in excitement.

“Katrina? What are you doing here?” Eren looked around nervously and tried to pull her away. “Corporal Levi will be mad if you interrupt us.”

Standing still, her chest felt light and she took his hand. At least he was around, and she wouldn't have to look any farther. “Where is the Corporal? I need to speak with him! Erwin sent me, I don’t mean to interrupt you guys.”

Eren started fighting her, trying to release her grip and turn her around. She frowned and allowed him to move her over and was facing a leg and a body of a horse. “You are interrupting us, so go.” A harsh voice rang in her ears and she looked up, dark hooded eyes gazing back at her.

“Are you Corporal Levi?”

He nodded, his expression still unchanging. “And who might you be?”

Katrina grinned and pulled her horse over, stepping up, with the help of Eren, and sat up so she met his level. Throwing her arms in the salute, her hand over her heart, she grew serious. “Katrina Reich. I’m here to take you back with me. Erwin needs to speak with you.” She turned her horse and looked back at him. “Are you coming, or do I need to take you back by force?”

Levi scoffed and his horse cantered ahead of her. She followed closely by, but not before turning and waving at Eren. "Later, Jaeger!" She placed her chin atop the horse’s head and began petting his mane. “We’ve never gone this far, have we boy?” He snorted and she chuckled, straightening back onto her saddle.

Katrina looked over at Levi and watched him just focus on what was in front of him. He looked like someone who had been through enough battles to be just a hardened shell. His tone was even harsh when he spoke, and he didn’t seem to have a lot of emotions. Suddenly, he turned and looked her, and she startled, losing her footing and sliding off the side of her horse. She hit the ground, her foot caught in its hold as the horse was still going.

A sharp pain stabbed at her, her foot twisted slightly. Levi grabbed her horse’s reins and pulled him to a stop, before jumping down and stepping over to her. “What the hell are you doing?” She blinked away the water in her eyes, out of pain and embarrassment, and covered her face. A sigh was heard and a swift tug and her leg landed on the ground. “Come on, stand up.”

Sniffling, she pushed herself back up, but only to hiss at the pain. “I must have messed up my foot.” She mumbled, leaning against her horse.

“Fine, ride with me.” Levi pulled his horse over and pushed her up onto the saddle. He climbed up next and settled in front of her. “This way you don’t fall off. If you do, and take me down as well, I’ll kill you.” She nodded held onto him quickly as the horse began to sprint. Her own horse was close behind them, and she smiled.

Silence was all that was left between them, as she feared he would just tell her to be quiet. But she was really curious about everything all of a sudden, wanting to know what she was missing. “Sir, if I can ask, why is Eren with you?”

“He is helping us get information. He’s under my guard as he is a shifter.”

“A shifter?” Once she had heard Erwin use that word, but she didn’t hear the rest of the conversation.

Levi slowed the horse by light tugging the reins. “Meaning he can turn into a titan. Where have you been all this time? Locked up in a cave? What is it that you do?”

Katrina nibbled nervously on her lower lip. He was suddenly throwing lots of questions her way, and she felt she had to respond just as fast or he'd be impatient about it. “Erwin decided it would be best if I didn’t know any of this. He also kept me back, because he feared something would happen to me.” A fluttering in her chest made her heart beat faster at the thought of the Commander.

“So you’ve never left the walls? Do you even know what a titan is?”

Of course she knew what a titan was. She was terrified by them, but she learned from Erwin on how to push pass the fear. Even if she wanted to be in the Military, just to stay away from the titans, he wouldn't allow it, and she grew up to know exactly why the Police wanted to be where they were. He grunted and she sat up, remembering that he was talking to her.

Katrina was going to answer but was distracted when she saw a man up ahead. “Erwin!” She yelled and grinned as the tall blonde turned around. Katrina slid of the horse, but once hitting the ground, she winced and stumbled, falling to her knees. Fearing he'd be worried or angry with Levi, she laughed. Ignoring the pain, she ran to him and stopped in front. “I did as you asked, I brought the Corporal.”

Erwin chuckled and patted her head, but looked down at her foot. “What happened to you?”

“I got off my horse too fast, but I’ll be alright.” She smiled to Levi as he walked up beside her, nodding to Erwin. 

The Commander sighed and patted her head again. It was like she was his pet and was good for doing as she was told. “Alright, go on home and I’ll come look at it when I get there.” He looked to the man next to him, who she knew quite well. “Mike, take her home for me, she can’t walk.”

“Brat, don’t put too much pressure on your foot. And don’t fall of your horse again.” Levi mumbled as he gave her a sideways glance. His words weren't what she was hoping to hear, but they were good enough for her. 

Katrina smiled and nodded as she leaned against Mike for support. “Thank you for your concern, Corporal!”