Chapter Thirty-Six

I lie quietly, staring at the dark abyss that happened to be my ceiling. I can hear Beau shouting outside my door, thumping the wood. At least I think he's shouting. And more importantly, how did he get in?

"Just open the goddam door!"

Am I dreaming?

I roll my head sluggishly to the side and watch as the door shakes from the violent blows of Beaus fist. Maybe Ian had invited him in. Ha. Who am I kidding. Ian was more likely to stick splinters under his nails that willingly let Beau into the house.

I twinge at my arm and frown at the bloody mess on my wrist. I lazily lift my hand slowly above my head and stare, bewildered by the sticky crimson substance that was gradually drying to my skin.

"Dahlia!"

The door splinters at the frame and Beau tumbles forward in a sudden rush onto the floor beside me.

His hand reaches out to my face and he softly strokes the skin under my eye, and, unsurprisingly, my body relaxes. A mumble escapes my lips as I try and forge together a sentence from the white noise inside my head, but Beau silences me with his thumb. I needed to warn him about Ian.

"Beau please" I croak, but he scrunches up his face as if to tell me to stop talking. I obey.

"Ian's not here" he says softly. "You're safe now"

If only that had been true. If only Ian had truly gone. If only the two of us had not fucked up that day. If only we had never met. If only dad was still here. Then maybe, just maybe, we would have been able to prevent the coming events. Because little did we know, Ian was still in the house. And the two of us did meet. And the two of us did fuck up. And dad has gone. And Ian had anticipated Beau's arrival. And in the short window he had, he'd planned everything.

"Don't. Move. A muscle"

I try to crane my neck up at Ian's silhouette in the doorway, but Beau moves his body closer to mine.

"I said, don't fucking move, boy!"