Mission Accomplished!

Start from the beginning

Louis drove around the countywide for an hour, car windows down, letting a cooling breeze into the car. Niall leant back in the passenger seat, enjoying the sensation of the soft air on his face. After a time, Louis suggested they find somewhere to eat and not too long afterwards found a nice looking pub that served meals. He parked quickly and ushered Niall inside. It was a lovely, old fashioned place,  and  had an excellent menu. Their meals chosen, both men talked in a desultory fashion until their food arrived. Part two of his mission was complete, Louis thought in satisfaction. He hoped things would continue to go well.

"Not hungry, Nialler?" Louis said softly as he watched Niall push his plate away after taking only a few mouthfuls.

"No, not really" Niall said. "I mean, I was hungry but I just don't want to eat now it's here.  I'm just tired, I guess"

"Niall, I know you hate hospitals, but maybe you need to see James?" Louis kept his tone quiet,  aiming not to sound too pushy ,knowing how stubborn Niall could be. He didn't want to force the issue but he knew how worried Jacey was about Niall and he could hardly ignore the evidence of his own eyes. Niall wasn't doing well. Niall just shrugged and looked out the window.

"Mate, you have to look after yourself. "Louis pursued the point "Jacey is worried about you. We are too. You need to be sensible, bro. Look, how about I take you to see James? Just let him check you over? If he says you're fine, we'll leave you in peace". He gave Niall a long, steady look. Niall met his eyes briefly then looked away, not responding.

"Mate, you can't ignore this. " Louis spoke  kindly but firmly, his sensible side coming to the surface. "Ni, you owe it to that new son of yours to be sensible."

"You'll leave me alone if James clears me?" Niall clarified reluctantly.

"Pinky promise" Louis replied holding up his little finger. Niall twined his own around it and they both gave a little shake. "Now we have established that, if you're ready, you have an appointment with James in an hour and a half. We'd better get moving"

"You had this planned you f.cking ba$t@rd"Niall's tone was accusing.

"No sense in getting older if you don't get crafty with it" Louis said cheerfully. "Move it, Horan" and he stood, flung an arm over Niall's shoulders and led him back to the car. "Time to get the show on the road." Louis grinned to himself as he  set in motion  the third and final part of his mission .

"Niall, Louis. Nice to see you both. I understand things are not as good as they could be right now, Niall" James Caldwell smiled at the two men as he spoke. Louis looked his usual bright and cheerful self and Niall wore his familiar stubborn look. James remained undaunted. He'd got to know Niall well over the last few years and knew that it was just Niall's way of coping with his fears. He called his nurse who appeared almost immediately. "You know the drill , Niall. If you'll go with the nurse and get ready, I'll be along in a moment." Niall went out with the nurse, Louis following.

Niall did his usual grumble about having to wear the stupid gown. Normally he just stripped down to his boxers but this time the nurse was having none of it. She went about her own checks very efficiently and had Niall weighed, measured and blood samples taken before James entered the examination room. James examination of Niall was equally efficient and very thorough. He seemed very unruffled as he extracted truthful and, unusually detailed answers from Niall regarding his symptoms and pain levels. After what seemed to him to be hours, Niall was invited to dress and to come through to the office when he was ready. James left the room , and much to Niall's surprise, was whistling cheerfully. Niall frowned, totally puzzled.

"Take a seat , gentlemen" James said, still cheerful, as he waved a hand at a group of comfortable looking armchairs. He took a seat opposite them and waited until they were settled. A tap on the door heralded the arrival of his secretary bearing a tea tray which she placed on the coffee table between them before leaving the room. Niall's forehead creased in a confused expression. Tea? Was James going to tell him something bad. Was tea supposed to soften the blow? He started fidgeting with his shirt.

"Relax, Niall" James said, recognising the signs that Niall was beginning to get distressed. "Have some tea. I think you are going to be quite happy with what I am about to tell you." He smiled at Niall who gave him an even more confused look. "There's a treatment I want to try on you, it's been very successful for others so I am hoping you'll also be fortune." This had Niall leaning forward in his chair, eyes trained on James as he waited.

"When your son was born, Jacey asked for the cord blood to be collected. Cord blood contains very powerful stem cells. I am planning to use the harvested stem cells to try and reboot your immune system again. It will be similar to the treatment you underwent 20 years ago but medical advancements will make it a far less harrowing experience than last time . I can't guarantee it will work as it is still in it's fairly early stages , but it's worth a shot. I want to know if you're up for it?" James asked seriously.

"When can it be done" Niall asked eagerly.

"Hold your horses" James laughed "let's talk it through and I 'll explain." .Louis took a discreet photo of Niall's face as he listened intently to James , sending it to Jacey , captioning it " Mission Accomplished"