Chapter VII

I dragged my feet to the kitchen. She was standing by the sink drinking one of her 'power smoothies'.

"Are you going to church?"
I asked noticing the clutch bag and bible beside the blender.

"Yes" she said without looking at me.
"But I thought we going to the mall this morning."
"And I thought you didn't need prayer."

Oh Lord here we go.

"Okay ma we'll go when you come back."
With that I walked back to my room.
"The devil is playing you!" She yelled at me.

I'm really too sleepy for my mom's  prayer lectures. I slept after four so I really don't feel like arguing. Who calls in her twenty-two year old daughter when she's in the middle of a kiss?? Only my mom, miss "the devil is playing you".

She banged the door on her way out and I slept peacefully.

I had set the alarm for 11:30 so that I can prep myself before she gets back. When she drove through the gate I was rinsing the dishes. Quickly putting them on the rack I fetched my bag.

"We can't go to Menlyn anymore, Soshanguve Crossing will just have to do" ma announced before my ass hit the seat.
She only changed our plans to spite me. She knows how much I hate when someone doesn't stick to the plan. Anyway it's fine we'll just do grocery shopping and forget lunch and book shopping.

My mom was the slowest driver ever. I couldn't figure out if it's because she was fearful or she just didn't want anything bad to happen to the car. My late dad owned it and whatever dad owned was precious to her.

What was supposed to be a thirty minutes drive turned into a fifty minutes drive of awkward silence, the only sound in the car was Joyous Celebration. We only talked when we got into Pick 'n Pay, we had to.

"Are you going to order?" My mom was losing patience.
I've been looking at the menu for the last five minutes.

"200 grams ribs" I said to the waitress.
"With salad?"
"No chips please"

I really didn't want to be sitting here in Spur with a woman who's being awkward because she saw me with a guy, when she was supposed to be sleeping.

"How was church?"
I attempted to start a conversation so we don't sit silent in public.
"It was good. I told God about you."

This woman though. I would've laughed if I wasn't so bored.

"You can say what you wanna say mom" I'm sick of her comments.

"I'm shocked and disappointed that my only child is acting like a whore"

"That's a bit too strong don't you think, especially for someone who just came from church."
It took everything in me not to lose my cool.

"It was just so disgusting to see you doing. . ."
"We were just kissing for God's sake!"

We paused when the waitress placed the food on the table.

"And that's why your legs were wrapped around him! Who's he anyway?"
She was doing her best to keep her voice down.

"Mom I'm sorry you had to see that but I'm not gonna apologise for being a grown up and acting like one."
"Grown ups don't go around kissing random guys in the street. . ."
"Mom please, I'm sorry. Can we drop it now?please" I begged.
"I don't mean to be embarrassing Tammy, is just that I care...

She was touching my hand now.

...and guys who make you act like this are only trouble"
I nodded.
The conversation got lighter, we relaxed and enjoyed our late lunch.

A child giggled so loud I had to look. It sounded so happy and I'm a sucker for laughing kids especially toddlers. The waiter was leading the way to their table. This little cutie had all my attention. I only noticed her parents when she pulled at their sides screaming.
"Mommy! Daddy! Swing me, swing me!"
Her little hands pulling theirs. They immediately did as she demanded, that giggle burst out, I smiled in her direction until I saw her dad's face.
At that same moment he turned in my direction and our eyes locked.
Everything froze. Everybody and every sound in the restaurant paused, including my breath.
He walked into a waitress, making her spill all the drinks she was about to serve her long waiting table. That broke our eye contact. While he was apologising and helping clear the mess I escaped.

"You left in such a hurry are yo okay?"
"Uhm yeah mom. Felt like I was gonna vomit that's why I ran out. I needed air" I lied.
"Okay well let's go home."

That night I laid awake in my bed reflecting on the scene at the restaurant.
Maybe mom is right. . .The devil is playing me.
. . .

I was glad to find that Natalie had an eventful weekend. All I had to do is listen, which was okay with me. I was just so tired, so emotionally drained to do anything, even talking seemed too much.
Maybe sharing could help me but I wasn't ready to face facts. I was played. That's a fact and as much as it hurts I had to accept it and move on.

"Miss Khoza!" Sipho called me back back into the meeting.
The last thing I heard was that we going on a team building trip.
"Will you be part of the organising team?" Sipho repeated what I apparently missed.
"Yes" I said and made sure I didn't zone out until the meeting was over.

Sip is back like he never left. It was his meeting. He organised for us to go for team building at The Summit Venue. A place directly in between Midrand and Centurion. You can call it the boder because none of these places can claim it.
It was set for this coming Saturday. At least I won't be sitting at home feeling sorry for myself.

I hardly spoke to anyone all day. I sat at my desk and pretended to work while I was trying not to think of how dumb I am. I left work fifteen minutes earlier so I can catch the 16:15 bus. Avoiding the caring Natalie.

And Ben is the last person who should see me like this. I need my energy back before our next meeting.

(A/N: Who's the mystery daddy? Guess! Who knows we might think alike or you might influence the direction of the story.

Guaranteed updates every week on Tuesday & Thursday morning. Update on any other day it's a bonus and I have a feeling there'll be plenty of bonuses:-) ;-)
I appreciate all the reads. Still waiting for all of you to come out of the shadows and interact with me. Your thoughts are important to me so please don't be shy.
Maybe other's might like to get on The Ride with you so please SHARE the story, COMMENT and VOTE.
On 100+ reads and 8 votes...let's push the numbers up ;-)
Lots of love and appreciation- N)