"They need to hurry up." Blake groaned, his heart beating at 1000 miles per hour as he watched Evie's blonde hair turn red.

"Blake, they're going as fast as they can-"

"IT'S NOT FUCKING FAST ENOUGH!" Screamed the distressed boy. Sasha stopped talking, deciding she wasn't going to win and that she would only cause Blake more distress if she kept trying to comfort him - he obviously did not want the relief of being consoled. He wanted the relief of seeing his best friend open her eyes. Blake was whispering to the blonde girl now, saying every and any thought which came to his mind as he shook with sobs. "Evie, please p-please be okay. I love you E-Evie. I d-didn't know but I d-do now. I love you more than a-anything. Live. P-please"
By the time the ambulance got there, Evie's pulse was so weak that the paramedics stated that they had to get her back immediately, and nobody was allowed to ride in the ambulance for safety reasons. Blake tried to protest, but James put a hand on his shoulder, stopping him from following. He didn't move, knowing that there wasn't anything he could do but watch the ambulance leave, hot tears trailing down his face, body sticky with blood.
"She'll be alright, Blake. She's Evie, she's always alright." Sasha soothed, placing a comforting hand on Blake's shoulder.

"We've been best friends for six years. 2190 Days. She can't leave me." Blake whispered in reply, his voice hoarse and broken. James pulled the brunette into him so the younger boy could sob on his shoulder, wrapping muscular arms around Blake to try and comfort him "She'll be coming back, Blake."
She had better be Blake thought because I can't imagine life without her.

When the three of them had cleaned up and Blake had washed himself and put on some of his clothes which Evie had stolen, James drove them to the hospital. The ride was silent, and Sasha swore she could hear Blake's rapidly beating heart throughout the whole tense journey. When they got to the hospital, Blake quickly got out of the car and hastily made his way to reception, Sasha and James doing their best to keep up. James expected Blake to instantly start questioning the woman where Evie was, but he remained silent, so James asked: "Evelyn Carter-Green?"

"Are you family members?" the woman replied, looking bored. How dare she look bored, didn't she know that Evie was bleeding out and Blake's whole world was about to be ripped away from him?

"No, but her parents are both away on business and we're the closest she has." James informed the woman, begging her with his eyes to let them see Evie.

"I'm sorry sir, but without family members permission I cannot disclose any information-" the receptionist started, but was cut off by Blake jolting to life. He was sick of other people getting in between him and Evie.

"Look here, Evie has been my best friend for six fucking years! I am in love with her, and I swear to god if I don't get to see her soon because her parents - who don't actually give two shits about her - aren't in the goddamn country, then I'll put myself in hospital so I can be near her. I need to see this girl, I'm one of the few people she has. So what if I'm not a fucking family member?! I love her more than her family, therefore I'm better than a family member. Now, tell me where the hell Evie is!" James and Sasha stared at Blake with wide-eyes, taken aback but mentally cheering him on. Blake kept his eyes fixed on the receptionist, glaring, trying to win the non-verbal argument they were having with their eyes.
The receptionist hesitated, before asking for Blake's name and telling him that she was in surgery and a doctor would come and get him when she could have visitors, which turned out to be three hours later, when Blake was close to insanity from all the thoughts he had punished himself with whilst waiting. George and Reece had also turned up at the hospital after a phone call from Sasha, even though it was now six in the morning. Blake half expected to see Lara trailing after George, but luckily she was nowhere to be seen.
Blake started to explain the story to George and Reece, but started crying too much, so James took the two boys aside and explained what had happened to them as Blake sobbed into Sasha's shoulder. He knew he was probably overreacting and that Evie was probably fine, but he wouldn't let himself get his hopes up. He didn't want to be crushed.
"Blake Richardson?" A doctor called, smiling kindly Blake when the brunette walked over to him. "Right this way."
There was more silence on the walk to Evie's room, everybody trying to get to grips with their own thoughts.
What's going to happen to Blake if Evie's not okay? - James.
I'm going to quit if Evie dies. Not that she's going to die. She won't die. - Sasha.
What does she look like? Are her injuries that bad? - Reece.
None of this would have happened if I didn't bring her to Lara's. - George.
Evie. - Blake.
When they reached the room, Blake hesitated, suddenly nervous about going in. He didn't think he could stand to see Evie looking so dead again. He jumped slightly when he felt hands take his, and looked either side of him to see George and Reece. They smiled at him, sadly, then Reece led the trio into the room. Blake shut his eyes as he walked in, and only opened them when George gave his hand a little squeeze.
Evie looked rough. There was a bandage around her head and some of her hair had been shaved to get to the wound, which had been stitched back up. She had black and blue bruises dotted around her pale skin and her lips weren't as rosy as usual, as if her body had no blood left. She didn't look like the Evie Blake knew and loved, who was filled with life and soul. She looked dead.
The brunette let go of the boys' hands and sat in the chair next to Evie's bed, gently taking one of her pale hands and planting a gentle kiss onto the back of it. "Evie, I'm s-so sorry. I love you, I l-love you so much. W-wake up. Please. You have t-to wake up. You have to c-come back to me." He choked out between sobs, which he'd only just managed to get under control. Seeing Evie like this broke him.
Blake didn't realise it that day, but whether Evie lived or not, she wouldn't be coming back to him. As much as it would kill Blake to discover, Evie's parents had arranged for her to fly to New York to live with her rich grandmother, so she could study business for two years at NYU. They had arranged for her to leave a week after the day Blake watched Evie slowly drain away in his arms. They had arranged for her to never come back. And then she would be a stranger.
Blake didn't realise that after a while, he'd be okay with it and would be able to move on.
After all, how are you meant to love someone, if they're nothing more than a stranger?

~

Fin.

~

;) ;) ;)

The sequel is up, it's called 1460 Days!

Please follow/comment/vote/chat!

So, for the last time, goodbye. I'll see you in the next book.

~Ray xx

(Please love me)