"Are we prepared to join the party?" the butler asked seriously, his hands folded behind his back. I smiled before holding up a finger to signal for him to wait. I turned back to Leander, grabbing his tie and tightening it a bit more before brushing his hair back to a freer version of what it used to be.

"Formal-ish works for you," I teased before turning towards the butler and nodding. We took our position in front of the towering wooden, ornate doors. The doors opened enough for the butler to slip through before closing again. Leander glanced at me before offering his arm. A grin lit up my face as I hooked my hand under it, latching my fingers onto the inside of  his elbow.

"Presenting Mr. Slipht of the third ruling family and Ms. Roytan of the fourth ruling family," the butler announced, effectively hushing the chatter outside. The doors parted, a man on either side as they bowed respectively towards us. The butler scooted out of our way, and Leander stepped forward first, guiding us down the flight of stairs onto the floor. People greeted us from all around, some were polite, others, nosey.

As others made their entrances and joined the mass of high class guests, we were left alone, and they were swamped. I sighed loudly in relief, looking over to see Leander chatting with an older man. I slipped off, heading for the long buffet table I saw. Deciding I was just thirsty once I scanned the various of platters placed out, I searched for some water and cups.

After scanning the table, I saw a large water dispenser tucked away into the corner. I made my way towards it, grabbing a plastic cup and pulling the tab until I was content with the amount in my cup. I brought the cup to my mouth, sipping out of it as I turned around.

I swallowed harshly and started coughing when I found Leander right behind me.

"Are you okay?" he asked me. I cleared my throat a few times to rid it of some spare water.

"Yeah, I'm just not good with crowds," I managed out.

"I was talking more about the choking on the water, but that works too," he replied in a teasing tone. I sent him a sheepish smile. Suddenly, a hush went over the crowd, and Leander moved to stand next to me. I took a few sips as the butler stood in the center of the upper level.

"Presenting Mr. Nanik of the second ruling family and the hostess, Ms. Veilan of the first ruling family." The butler bowed out of the way, and the doors parted.

In entered Cynric in a completely formal, black suit. His hair was slicked back and a few pieces of hair fell over his forehead. Next to him was a beaming girl who waved slowly towards everyone. her chiffon-looking white dressed swished along her knees. A thin black belt laid loosely along her hips. Golden hoops hung from her ears. She was beautiful with wavy, auburn hair and sparkling cerulean eyes.

"Everyone, thank you for coming!" she announced loudly, sending a dazzling smile to everyone as she skimmed over the crowd. Her necklace shone in the lighting.

"That's Elizabeth I'm assuming," I whispered to Leander as I leaned closer out of habit. He nodded.

"I hope you all enjoy yourselves tonight!" she said happily before dragging Cunric down the stairs with her. She pulled him around with her as she talked from group to group, her side glued to his as she hugged his arm. Leander and I continued to converse, slowly making our way away from the buffet and just wandered the large room.

"Hello? I don't believe we've met," I heard a feminine voice call from behind me. Leander and I turned at the same time to be greeted by Cynric and Elizabeth. Elizabeth had a friendly smile on her face while Cynric wore a deep scowl.

"Hello! Sorry to have crashed your birthday party! I came with these two." I pointed between Leander and Cynric, keeping my voice pleasant but apologetic. "I was kind of forced into attending. I hope you don't mind." Her smile wilted before becoming a bit more plastic.

"You know Cynric?" She turned to look upwards at Cynric to see him glaring towards us. Why he was glaring, I had no idea. Leander saw this, a smirk lighting up his features as he wrapped an arm around my shoulders. I rolled my eyes, but I didn't move.

"Leander," Cynric hissed out. Elizabeth and I watched the exchange before she turned to give me a mean look. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. What is going on?

"So, are you and Leander a thing?" Elizabeth asked me, her eyes bored holes into mine as if she could sear the truth out of me.

"Of course not," Cynric scoffed, responding to her question even though it wasn't directed towards him.

"Soon to be," Leander answered at the same time with a wink. I shot Leander a confused look. Since when was he open and proud about our arranged bonding? Elizabeth glanced between the two, not knowing who to believe.

"You don't believe me? Here, how's this for proof?" Leander stated before gripping my chin lightly and pressed his lips against mine in a chaste peck.

Then the lights went out.

~~~~~~~

SO I HIT 10K???? THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH I NEVER EVEN EXPECTED TO EXCEED 1K

This is a bit late, but I tried to get this updated ASAP 😅 I had extreme struggles writing it.

So this book probably has around 9-10 more chapters before the end. But I have a lot to add and change once it's done so even when it's done, it's not really ;p

Anyways THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR THE COMMENTS, READS, AND VOTES! It really has surprised me xD