Chapter IX - Leave (Now)

It was Friday. Four days after the turning point in Niall and Hannah's marriage. And even though Niall didn't put his hands on his wife since that night, something inside him was awakened. He liked the new power he discovered. Something about it made him feel masculine and in charge. But he exhibited restraint. He waited.

As Niall grew emotionally stronger, Hannah's already weakened spirit was chiseled down to almost nothing. Her heart, mind and now body were slowly dwindling down to something unrecognizable. She didn't feel like herself. She didn't act like herself. And she started to hate herself.

Work was stressful for Hannah that week. Her boss and good friend, Liz, missed every day that week. Liz' husband wasn't responding well to the new treatment. And it burdened Hannah's heart knowing her good friends had to go through that.

After a long but good Friday at work, Hannah looked forward to going to Louis and Daphne's for dinner with the group. She needed it. She needed her best friends.

With her index finger, Hannah carefully erased the tiny smudge of lipstick from her cupid's brow. She replaced the cap on her passion rose lipstick and set in on the counter. She looked in the mirror and took in a purposeful breath and let it out slowly.

Her fingers fiddled with the sleeves of her blue cardigan. And she pulled them lower. The marks from her husband had long since disappeared, almost as if they never existed. But she still saw them.

"Hannah, are you ready?" Niall walked into their bathroom as he buttoned his shirt. He slowed his stride when he saw his wife. He loved the blue and white dress she was wearing. It was his favorite. And he imagined ripping it off her body. He stepped closer so his chest was touching her back. "You look so damn good. I can't wait to have my way with you later tonight."

Hannah hummed in response to her husband's seductive words. She felt his hand slither around her waist to her stomach. And she leaned back into his chest. His touch was smooth and soft and comforting, a contrast to the harsh bite on her neck. And she shivered.

"Does that feel good, Baby?" Niall smirked against his wife's prickled skin. He knew they didn't have time then, but he made plans to have a fuck when they got back home. "Hmm?"

"Yes." Hannah's voice was strained. Her eyes were closed and she blindly felt for his hand that was on her stomach. It was comforting and soft and taken away far too soon.

Niall stepped back and patted his wife's ass. "C'mon. We've got to go."

Hannah blinked her eyes open a few times. And she stood in their bathroom, turned on and alone. She let out a frustrated breath and made her way to the living room.

"Oh. I almost forgot. The salad."

Hannah took the glass dish out of the ice box and held it with one hand as she got her purse.

"Here, Hannah. Let me help." Niall smiled at his wife and took the cold dish from his wife's hand.

"Thank you, Niall. That was sweet of you." Hannah returned a smile to her husband and locked the front door behind her.

And Niall and Hannah got in their car and drove to their best friend's house.***

"Welcome, welcome. C'mon in you two." Daphne greeted Hannah and Niall into her and Louis' two-story house. Daphne loved the home she and Louis created and it would soon be an even happier home. She smiled to herself as she thought of the announcement they would make after dinner.

"Thank you, Daph. Here's the salad."

"Oh, wonderful. I'll go put this in the ice box. Make yourselves at home. Lou and the baby are in the den with Liam and Amelia."