Chapter VI - Free (Then)

"You said we could play video games and eat pizza, Liam." Harry stood in front of the mirror and didn't like what he saw. His hair looked weird and he was wearing an uncomfortable shirt that wasn't even his. And Liam and Zayn were taking him to a frat party. He wasn't going to have a good night. And what was a frat anyway?

"Oh, c'mon, mate. We can do that anytime. I think you'll have fun." Liam thought it would be good for Harry to get out of his shell.

Harry flinched his nose. He wasn't buying it. "Why aren't you making Louis go too?"

"The big bum said he was too old." Zayn set the comb on the dresser and looked at his masterpiece that was Harry's hairstyle. "And you need more gel."

"You're kidding me."

"Nope. Turn around. You've go' really curly hair, H." Zayn poured a glob of blue gel in his hand and worked it in Harry's quiff. "I'slike a fluffy cloud!"

Harry just stood there.

Liam sat on his bed eating a bag of potato chips and enjoyed the hilarious scene that was unfolding.

"I've got more product in my hair than a girl." Harry gave Zayn a look in the mirror and Liam and Zayn busted up laughing. Harry chuckled. He wasn't trying to be funny. But after he thought about it, it kind of was.

"Jus' think of all the girls you'll reel in." Zayn worked the gel in Harry's hair and a drop fell.

"Ah! You got some in my eye." Harry tilted his head down and rubbed his eye. It stung so bad. But he knew Zayn didn't do it on purpose. Because they were best friends.

"S'rry, H. I'll get you a napkin."

Liam threw the crumpled potato chip bag in the bin and wiped the crumbs from his hands. "Are you okay, mate? Cos it's time to go."

"I look ridiculous." Harry huffed a breath and blinked a bit. But his eye didn't hurt as bad anymore. He had other things to worry about.

"I take that as an insult, mate. That's my shirt you're wearing and Z, here, did your hair." Liam folded his arms teasingly. He wanted to get Harry to lighten up a bit.

"Yeah!" Zayn jumped in the conversation as he fixed his own hair. "You look quite dashing, Harry."

After a few more grumbles from Harry and laughs from Liam and Zayn, the three made their way to the frat house.***

Too many people. The smell of beer and cigarettes. Really loud music. And no Hannah. That was Harry's night.

"Would you like a soda, Harry?" Liam held out a soda can but Harry shook his head. "There's no alcohol. See? It's grape and it's sealed, mate."

"Okay. Thanks, Liam." Harry was relieved. It wasn't alcohol. And it was grape. His second favourite drink. The can popped with a hiss and he took a drink. It was really good. "I'm going to sit on the couch."

"Are you sure? They're about to play a game." Liam did a little shoulder dance to the music to get Harry to join in.

Harry laughed. Liam was funny. And he really couldn't dance. "No, thanks. I jus' wanna sit and drink my soda."

"Alright then. Z and I will be over at the ping pong table, okay?" Liam patted Harry's shoulder. He didn't want to leave him but he and Zayn were considered for acceptance in the fraternity. He had no choice.

Harry nodded while taking a sip then walked over to the couch. A couple were making out on the other side. It was a bit embarrassing, but he didn't see any other place else to sit. And he wasn't going to go look around in a stranger's house.