Chapter 1| Connor Taylor [REWRITTEN]

Start from the beginning

    In the end, it didn't come down to much. I watched helplessly as the ball was passed back and forth in a blur of fighting red and black. There were ten seconds left in the game when it was passed off to one of Ridgemount's strikers. A beat of silence ensued as the entire stadium held its breath.

    4, 3, 2,

    A neon green 1 flashed overhead when the ball sailed passed our goalie into the corner of the net.

    A deafening cry of cheers and hollers erupted from the Ridgemount spectators in the stands. The score changed to reflect the win as celebratory music started to blare overhead. Students ran down the concrete steps and onto the field to celebrate the winning team.

    Northshore cut their losses and made their way over to shake hands with the Ridgemount players. I was the only one left in the centre of the field as my team migrated to the side lines.

    Knees shaking, I bent over to catch my breath. Sweat drenched the hair hanging over my eyes as I stared up at the scoreboard in disbelief.

    Anger flared within me at the sight of flashing digits overhead in Ridgemount's favour. Part of me wanted to strangle our goalkeeper. All those hours spent coming up with new strategies over the summer and for what? Still, I knew this wasn't just our goalie's fault but I'd been so sure we'd have them this time.

    A voice broke me out of my trance.

    "What's the matter there, Taylor? Couldn't take the heat?" Dakota laughed from a few feet away. He wiped the sweat from his forehead with the back of one hand. "Never picked you for a sore loser."

    "Shut up, Anderson!" I shot back. "I'm just trying to work out how something with literally zero brain cells was coordinated enough to make that shot!"

    My team appeared at my side, drawn back to the field by Dakota's loud antagonism. They were close but left enough space for me to fight my own battles. And to watch the playout.

    Dakota snorted at my retort. "Funny. I was wondering the same thing about you."

    Trent and another teammate had to hold me back as I took a swing at Dakota. They pulled me away before my fist could collide with the bastard's cheek.

    The Ridgemount Captain only laughed and took a casual step back. He offered nothing more than a smug look in my direction before turning away to celebrate with his team.

    "Asshole." I sniped in his wake.

    "Hey, hey," Trent told me as I struggled in his grip. Our team began to retreat off the field. "It's only the beginning of the season. We can still make up the loss."

    I growled, shrugging Trent off me. "We shouldn't have lost in the first place."

    "C'mon, man!" My other best friend, Scott, appeared, jumping on Trent's back and nearly knocking the taller boy off his feet as he exclaimed, "Even if we didn't win, Angela's hosting a party tonight. Free drinks and hot seniors, dude!"

    "Not in the mood."

    "Connor," Scott whined. "Don't deprive yourself the wonders of human interaction just because we got our asses handed to us today."

    I flicked him an amused look. "The wonders of human interaction? You taking some philosophy class we don't know about?"

    Scott scoffed. "Shut up, man. You already bailed on us last week at Jake's. You're coming tonight."

    "I don't think anyone will feel like celebrating after that." Trent stared pathetically at the scoreboard. "Scott's right. We got our asses handed to us."