"You really mean that?"

He leaned his forehead against mine, intentionally subjecting me to the absolute power I hadn't realized he had over me. His eyes twinkled in a way I had never seen them do, and in that moment I knew.

The mate claim had taken hold and won. I had accepted Logan.

Gasping out loud, I couldn't help the happiness that resonated throughout my body. My head began to spin from the instant euphoria that surged through my veins. I tried to fight back the feeling. That was so not the most opportune time for what was happening. But at the same time, I knew David would be insanely proud that he was finally able to make me accept the fact that I had a mate.

And I actually wanted him.

Logan watched me with a knowing gaze, and the minute my breathing returned to normal he covered my lips with his own. My heart flew right back into overdrive as I returned his kiss. What could have been hours, minutes, or even seconds later, I had to tear myself away from him for air. Our chests rose and fell rapidly, yet still in sync.

"That is so not fair," I murmured as I tried to force my heartbeat below stroke level.

"What's not?" he asked with faux innocence. He gave me a lopsided, mischievous grin that didn't necessarily help my heart issue.

"You know what!" I whispered yelled, smacking his chest.

David stirred and I turned my head in his direction. Biting my lip, I closed my eyes before refocusing my attention on Logan. His smile turned somber and he draped me in his warm embrace once again, efficiently relaxing me.

"Get some sleep," he murmured. "I'll wake you if anything happens."

Curling myself into him, I leaned my head against his shoulder. "Thank you," I said, already halfway gone due to the exhaustion that had slammed over me.

❃ ❃ ❃ ❃ ❃

Xander pulled at his hair in frustration. How could he have been so careless as to lose control like that? She was never going to forgive him. He knew how much that boy meant to her, but he hadn't been able to help it. He had warned her, but even he hadn't thought he would go through with it. Now he didn't know if Torian's Beta was going to survive. If he didn't, Xander doubted there was anything he could ever do to regain her trust.

He could feel that she was asleep, and he wanted to bring her to him. He so badly desired to share her dream with her and beg for her forgiveness, but he didn't think it would be wise. He highly doubted that she wanted to see him at that point in time. She needed time to cool off, and he knew that.

He winced when he remembered what she had said about calling her to him through his mark. He hadn't known that it would cause her pain, or he would never have gone through with it. He hated hurting her. The fact that she made him lose his temper so fast didn't help with that fact. Once his tempter spiked, Xander could hardly ever stop himself from lashing out.

As Torian had come to realize quite quickly.

Even with others, Xander had never wanted to stop himself more than he did with Torian. He wanted to change for her, but he was in too deep. The war was fast approaching and there was no way to call it off now. Not even Raven wanted to anymore. She had been hard at work preparing the newborns and he knew she would throw a tantrum should he halt everything now.

Speaking of the she-devil, he could feel her presence before she even spoke.

"What do you want?" he asked, rounding on her.