Chapter 12

Astral woke up in the bed he shared with his sister. He woke up earlier, as usual, and silently got out of bed. He took care of any morning business he had before pulling on his cloak and other things. He took his usual walk through the garden before checking the time. It was about time for Black Mist's morning meditation; he decided to wake the Number up.

He was deep in thought as he walked through the corridors of the guest rooms. He knocked on the door and patiently waited for the usual grumbling and groaning, but that didn't happen. He knocked again, but when he listened closer, he heard two voices talking. Of course, Astral knew it was Vector with him since they shared the room. He listened in closely to hear what they were talking about, but he couldn't understand them. Was this the secret language of the Obscure?

Oh, well. Astral was sure that Black Mist would tell everyone else what he was talking about with Vector when the time came.

~.~.~

During breakfast, the household couldn't help but notice Black Mist's pensive mood. He picked at his food, stared into it, did anything but actually eat. His mouth kept moving silently, forming a specific name that only Zeon and Astral recognized: Durbe. Black Mist's eyes kept squinting in concentration, but it seemed no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't reach the thought he wanted.

"Are you okay?" Astrid asked their guest. "You haven't eaten."

The Number snapped out of his daze. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just thinking..."

"About?"

"Nothing."

After breakfast, Black Mist took Astral aside to speak privately. Astral was confused until Black Mist told him his reasoning.

"Can you dig up memories that were somehow sealed away?" Black Mist asked, an intense look replacing the playful one.

"I believe so?" Astral replied. "I have never tried it myself, but Father taught me."

"Then do it. I need to know something, and I can't relax until I know."

"Know what?"

"Until I know who Durbe was!" The outburst echoed throughout the halls, but no one seemed to take notice.

"Durbe? The child in your dream?"

"Yes. I-I don't remember him." Black Mist paced around, biting his claws. "I can't remember, and I can't remember the accident that led up to his death much. M-my parents, I-I can't remember what they were like before." He sighed shakily. "I don't remember anything."

Astral nodded. He didn't understand the confusion this Number was going through, but he was adamant on doing whatever to ease that confusion. "I will try. Let's go to my room. Astrid has lessons at this time, so she will not disturb us." He held out his hand once again, and after a brief moment of wide-eyed confusion, Black Mist took it. They walked to Astral's chamber for some privacy.

"Can Vector come?" Black Mist suddenly asked.

"Of course. Here, I will retrieve him." Leaving the Number in the room, Astral got Vector to come into the room to make Black Mist a bit more comfortable so that the process would be easier.

While they made their way back to the room, Astral decided to ask, "Vector, did you know Durbe?"

Vector looked at Astral, surprised he knew the name at all. "I did. He, Black Mist, and I were nearly inseparable. Why do you ask?"

"Because Black Mist remembered the name and person named Durbe, but nothing else. I believe you being there will be a great benefit to letting him know about Durbe."