34. A sight to believe

Start from the beginning

"How are you feeling?
I gave her a glass of water and she gulped it down immediately.
I gave her one more and she shyly took it.

" I am feeling fine."
She cleared her throat. Hearing her voice after such a long time made my heart stop beating. I would lose it if I spent more time in her presence. I had longed to hear her voice. I still couldn't believe myself. I had to excuse myself.

"I should call the doctor. Let him know that you're awake."
I came out of the room and informed the nurse. She acknowledged and went to call the doctor.
I went to the bathroom and turned the tap on to wash my face. When I saw myself in the mirror I cringed. My hair was standing awkwardly. I looked like a mess.

"No wonders she got scared of you." I pointed at myself in the mirror.
Washing my face multiple times I even damped my hair to set it back.
I slumped down clutching the sink's edge. She was fine. She woke up finally. I laughed at it. I was nervous to go back to her room. I got up encouraging myself to go back. I was nervous. It was surreal. I couldn't believe it. It was beyond my expectations. I had almost given up my hope. Despairing at her when all of sudden one fine day she's alright. I wanted to cry out loud.
I got up finally shaking myself out of the haze. I had to focus.
From outside the door I saw that the doctor interviewing and she responding normally to him nodding her head. I nervousky entered the room and both looked at me.
The doctor smiled.

"She is absolutely fine. We had a situation but it's alright now. Her recovery is good. We can expect her to discharge in two days."

"That is very good. Thank you so much." I shook the doctor's hand and he left us alone.

I finally looked at Tiffany and saw her fidgeting with her bedsheet. How many times did I actually dream her waking up. I was not going to let her slip away. I was going to care of her. I promised.

"You are doing good."
I finally said.

"Yeah I guess I am. I feel fine." She seemed a bit nervous and fidget more.

"Do you need something? I can get you."

"No I shouldn't trouble you."

"You have enough."

The soon I said it I realized my blunder. Damn I just had to say something like that.
I looked at her and she sunk down even more. Her hair covering most of her face.
I was the worst person.

Just when you thought.

"I am sorry for the trouble." She whispered-said.

"No I am sorry. I just- nevermind me. Umm here have some water?"
I refilled her glass and she took it from me. Halfway through her drinking she stopped and kept the glass aside. She tried to get up.

"What happened? Are you alright?"

"Umm no. I uh... have to pee."
She blushed looking away immediately.

"Wait ,let me help you to get up."

"Oh no it's really okay." She whipped her head furiously and muttered something under her breath. She struggled to get up holding the edge of her bed tightly. Shakely she walked towards the bathroom.
I again came forward to give her support but she gestured that she was fine.
After a while she slowly made her way towards the bed. She climbed onto the bed and settled.
I drew the sheet over her. She froze stone hard visibly shocked.

"It's okay."
I whispered to her. Pushing back her shoulder I made her lay comfortably.
"You need to get healthy soon."

"Hmm."